sbc 383 intake recommendation

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

smokie
Re: sbc 383 intake recommendation

Post by smokie »

thanks Chad, that's pretty much the affect i was going to try & do. not remove a lot of material, but blend the shit out of it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

May I suggest an old Weiand Stealth, 8016 dual plane intake.

I think if you look at one in your hands that you will find that it has about the largest plenum and runners of all the old dual plane intakes so will be fine here.

I am of the opinion that Holley/Weiand made a mistake when they deleted the 8016 as well as the old Holley 300-36 true high-rise and also the BBC 8005 Performer type intake.

But what do I know?

pdq67
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

picked up a 300-110 awhile back nice looking piece. holleyperformance (on ebay)pops up with them occasionally
As Chad said these castings are getting worse and worse..port and bolt hole alignment NOT impressed
One day ill put some work to it swap it out wiht the Team G just to have 4 corner cooling if that was the only benefit
Seems to be something to the taller/larger plenum thing if you want any rpm
smokie

Post by smokie »

i've ran into something i've never came across. the heads i have fit a felpro 1205 intake gasket damn near perfectly, but the ports are raised to what looks like right at about .100" like a vortec head. in other words, i have to raise the gasket .100" to get the ports lined up with the gasket. this has got to affect the way the intake port openings like up from the intake to the heads. these heads have both standard & vortec intake mounting holes. from what i have read, a team g & victor jr both call for a 1205 gasket, but the ports in them are not raised, so how do i get around this?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Then try a vortec intake manifold.
A felpro 1255 intake gasket for vortec heads will tell you whats going on.
smokie

Post by smokie »

i can use a regular intake, i just need to port match it correctly & i might have to use the thicker gaskets to raise it up a little.

on a side note, would a performer rpm air gap be enough intake for this engine? 385 ci, 200cc heads, 10.48 -1, comp xr294hr cam, 3,000 stall 3.73 gears, or should i stick with a single plain? i don't want it to run out of breath on top end. i've never used a single plain other than an old weiand stealth on a 327, & after i put the victor jr on it & it screamed.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

The rpm air gap is a pretty tall manifold. I ran one on a nice 406 for years, and it pulled nicely to 6500 rpm. But if the weather is colder than 50 degrees, you can have drivability issues.
So much to do, so little time...
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

The last "screamer" 388 sbc I built was pretty similar to what you have now.

.060" over 350
Scat crank and rods, lightweight Wiseco 2VR slat tops, 0 decked. 10.3-1 compression
Pro-topline iron lightning 200cc heads (way before RHS took over). 2.02/1.60's, slightly milled and ported to 209cc's (to clean up the horrible as cast ports more than anything)
Comp cams 294s solid flat tappet 250/250@.050, .525/.525, 110 lsa/106 ica
1 3/4" full length headers, 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust with H-pipe
Turbo 350 and 3.73's/Eaton posi
All in a 3400 pound '77 Nova

Initially I had a Weiand 7530 (ports cleaned up due to some pretty nasty casting quality) and a ATI 10" converter that flashed to 4200 rpms (way looser than what I ordered btw). I like my hot rods a bit more subtle and wanted everything hidden under the stock hood. The 7530 with a 750 vac sec carb and a 3" drop base air cleaner just barely fit, but it did fit.

It didn't take long to hate that loosey goosey convertor. I had spoken with a very highly recommended rep from ATI when I ordered it. It was supposed to flash to about 3500 with good low speed manners...I was building a hot street car and NOT a drag car. Instead this thing was all kinds of loose at low speeds but when you punched it from a dead stop it would hit HARD, and scream to 7K+ rpms in an instant, street tires ablaze. I sent the convertor back and had it redone to what I had asked for in the first place. Flash stall with sticky tires dropped to 3100-ish, and low speed driveability was mucho better. The launch really took a hit with the tighter convertor however.

With the setup I was running, I was right at the edge of my power brakes working consistently, and I wasn't completely happy with the part throttle manners. I swapped the 7530 for a 300-36, which also just fit under the stock hood with the 3" drop base filter. Idle vacuum went up over 1" (power brakes no longer questionable whether they would work or not), low end throttle response was much improved, the convertor would now flash to 3400 with sticky tires, and my street tires would disintegrate with a half hearted stab of the throttle at anything under 45 mph. It would still hit 7000+ in a heartbeat. I could feel a slight loss of upper end pull above 5K rpms, but to me the improvement in street manners (especially when it was cold outside) was more than worth it.

That car ended up going 12.40's on J60 M&H stickys and I drove it everywhere. I think there was more there, but unfortunately "life" happened and I ended up selling the car.

Sorry...I kind of got sidetracked there :mrgreen:
smokie

Post by smokie »

i ended up just getting a victor jr 2975. 75 bucks shipped & a virgin casting, i couldn't pass it up.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I was coming back to suggest the way, "OLD", C4B E-brock intake!

pdq67