Different chamber styles & timing / octane reqs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: Different chamber styles & timing / octane reqs

Post by BradH »

Frankshaft wrote:I think your splittling hairs and over thinking this deal...
Wouldn't be the first time...
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

BradH wrote:Plug sides of "A" and "B" chambers essentially the same;.the quench side is where 98% of the differences are. Edelbrock revised the quench pads on those heads and reduced the chamber volume with the later "A" casting.

"B" has the larger chamber, larger intake runner volume, and smaller quench pad.
I like the quench pad deshrouding better on "B" heads. My mistake. Interesting that Edelbrock changed that.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

PRH_chamber1_sm.jpg
Goofed the last post up. This chamber quench side I actually like more. Does it run better or flow better? I do not know. It is interesting that Edelbrock opened up that side and reduced quench volume.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
631-816-4911
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Carnut1 wrote:
BradH wrote:Plug sides of "A" and "B" chambers essentially the same;.the quench side is where 98% of the differences are. Edelbrock revised the quench pads on those heads and reduced the chamber volume with the later "A" casting.

"B" has the larger chamber, larger intake runner volume, and smaller quench pad.
I like the quench pad deshrouding better on "B" heads. My mistake. Interesting that Edelbrock changed that.
Deshrouded better, but less conducive to pressure recovery. I've been wondering how much the "A" chamber would increase in volume if I pulled back just the exhaust side of the quench pad... would look more like an LS3 chamber.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Carnut1 wrote:
PRH_chamber1_sm.jpg
Goofed the last post up. This chamber quench side I actually like more. Does it run better or flow better? I do not know. It is interesting that Edelbrock opened up that side and reduced quench volume.
If you compare the quench pads of the two different chambers by referencing where the pad stops with respect to the bolt holes seen below the chambers, you'll see how much the quench was increased with the change to the smaller "A" chamber.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

BradH wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:
PRH_chamber1_sm.jpg
If you compare the quench pads of the two different chambers by referencing where the pad stops with respect to the bolt holes seen below the chambers, you'll see how much the quench was increased with the change to the smaller "A" chamber.
Looks to me like the old chamber has more quench. Snap a pic with a caliper to clarify. Thanks, Charlie
631-816-4911
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

Big block dodges have the chamber pushed all the way to the exhaust side of the bore. Stability of SSR will be paramount to keep the swirl from getting out of control on that head. The chamber with the most definition behind the valves will help SSR stability. I would pay attention to valve pocket shaping, make them a little bigger to match chamber shape .
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Mummert
Expert
Expert

Post by Mummert »

double post
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks