PCV oil vapor catch can.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dfarr67
Expert
Expert
PCV oil vapor catch can.

Post by dfarr67 »

Anybody here have experience with these as far as a unit that works as intended but doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'll spend if I have to....
zwede
Pro
Pro
Re: PCV oil vapor catch can.

Post by zwede »

I'm using the JLT catch can and it seems to work well.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/index ... 6hd4djg4a4

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

i have moroso which looks near on what swede has by his photo
yeah i nearly fell off my chair when opened the box,a hell of a lot of cash for what you get
anyone who can wheel a lathe could make one,its a screw together canister with steel wool inside
i am looking at hooking mine through the pcv from the china wall at front of engine block to manifold vacuum and trying to utilize a vacu-pan through the catch can for wot operation
my thought is you have manifold vacuum at idle and light throttle
then at wide open throttle using vacu-pan through just 1 x catch can for all engine load operation
might be a total waste of time but until i try i just dont know
good luck with your choice of crankcase ventilation but i think it is fairly important instead of venting straight to atmosphere

steve c
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

I have used a glass bowl marine type fuel filter; now you can actually see how much has collected.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

The application is for a new DI PCV-automotive. It may not be necessary but with DI there is no fuel wash that indirect injection and carb have to clean deposits on the valve. I've been looking at Moroso (large body) and Michi which has nice packaging.
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

I wonder if this would cross over nicely- my impression- if capsized it is just a one way valve for not letting oil enter the intake.

– Unique semi-dry sump oil system lowers the crankshaft in the engine, eliminates the need for
scavenging pumps, and keeps the oil from flooding the crankcase if the craft is capsized
– Kawasaki’s patented oil separator provides fail-safe venting for the crankcase and prevents oil from
flowing into the intake tract if the craft is capsized

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/745462 ... 170#manual
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Most engines that NEED a catch can are either broken or built wrong.

But if you've got a good engine and you want to fit one anyway, I like fuel filters, the sort you use for a carburettor, Use 2 of those, one from manifold vac ........PCV valve.......filter.......valve cover.
The other filter from the other valve cover connection.........to the intake for fresh air inlet.

Because they're plastic and see through, you can watch them and see how they fill up........or don't fill up.

Most people who fit catch cans do it completely wrong and mess up the PCV system. That's why you need 2 of them.