fire ring on head gaskets hang over into cyl bore

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cheapstreetduster

fire ring on head gaskets hang over into cyl bore

Post by Cheapstreetduster »

guys i am trying to fit new Cometic mls head gaskets onto my small block mopar.The fire ring hangs over into the cyl on the top off all 4 bores on the block. it worse on the drivers side. the gaskets line up centered over the cylinder heads so technically the heads are or would be installed off center also. the block bores are 4.03 and the fire ring on the gaskets are 4.04 so mathematically i have clearance. I dont want to modify the dowel holes on the gaskets. Is there an offset towel pin i can acquire to re align my cyl heads and gaskets.
what is the procedure to remedy this issue.?
mechanical engineer, carpenter by trade,love racing engines in general, drag race in the NMCA fastest street car cheapstreet class. i am a doit yourselfer
Cheapstreetduster

Re: fire ring on head gaskets hang over into cyl bore

the engine ran before but the fire ring was 4.100 on the old gaskets. so i never noticed it before.
mechanical engineer, carpenter by trade,love racing engines in general, drag race in the NMCA fastest street car cheapstreet class. i am a doit yourselfer
Cheapstreetduster

specs say same as smallblock chevy at .316 diameter dowels.
they are showing 30* offset .. so that would be .030" correct.
V Remian

Post by V Remian »

You are correct on the dowels. I have a SBM 418 w/a 4.08 bore and worse-the prev owner of the block did some bore notching. On a freshen up screwed up and ordered 4.08 bore gaskets so, bad enough but with the bore notches... So far so good about 50 passes. They are MLS gaskets.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The fire ring overhang isn't good but it's sort of protected by the matching chamber overhang, however the resulting 'ledge' on the opposite block side could adversely affect flow, so the correct offset dowels would be a worthwhile change.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Cheapstreetduster

i cant leave it like this because my pistons stick out of the hole at the top quench side. and would hit or pinch the head gasket with this newer smaller fire ring.
the old head gasket was 4.130 fire ring. the new gasket fire ring is 4.04 . so the old gasket was large enough not to interfere. However this new gasket will be a problem.
i am actually glad i found this..because the combustion chambers will now be centered and the push rods will gain some clearance . I have some tiny scuff marks on the push rods on that bank. i noticed this on the last inspection of the engine when it was running and i was adjusting the valves.. it wasnt enough to tear the motor apart at the time. but the head relocation will move the head in the right direction and the pushrods should clear with out issue.. it was just some tiny witness marks. enough to prove contact has happened at some point.
now that i think about it even the intake bolts on that side used to be a little bit of a pain . the shoulder on the bolts where always dragging. and i had to use a box wrench to turn them the whole way..it was too tight to turn them by hand.
things seem to make sense now.
Cheapstreetduster

any advice on installing the offset pins.? I see there is a flat slot to turn them with a screw driver but in my experience those suckers are tight.. cant image they will move once set all the way in the block.
i suppose ill use the head gasket to line up or move the pins. center the gasket properly then finish tapping them in to place once the head gasket looks centered.?
ozmuscleowner

Post by ozmuscleowner »

if one head went forward and one head went back 30 thou... what about intake alignment... wouldn't getting a larger bore gasket be an easier fix...

Its just my opinion, I just have never seen something machined that far off from the factory..... then again I try to stay away from mopars [-o<

if you got offset dowels simply install them the direction your off...
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

One benefit of using the 4.04" bore gasket is reducing/eliminating the crevice volume around the bore. It looks like nothing of consequence, only ~ 0.05"³, but you engine's peak cylinder pressure during combustion is likely ~1,000 psi and since the mixture can't burn in the confined space and will 'emerge' too late in the cycle to add torque, it means that theoretically, 1000/15 x 0.05 = 3.3 C.I. out of 44.0 or 7% power could be lost.( Of course the reality will be far less, but even 1/3 of that could add 10 or more HP.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Cheapstreetduster

ozmuscleowner wrote:if one head went forward and one head went back 30 thou... what about intake alignment... wouldn't getting a larger bore gasket be an easier fix...

Its just my opinion, I just have never seen something machined that far off from the factory..... then again I try to stay away from mopars [-o<

if you got offset dowels simply install them the direction your off...
its not out of alignment front to back..
its out of alignment top to bottom the head/combustion chamber/fire ring needs to move towards the lifter valley..intake direction
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Be aware that the fire ring will widen by several thou. when the head is torqued.