Msd coil

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

freddiejip
Msd coil

Post by freddiejip »

If I was to buy the msd blaster hvc 2 coil right now, would I be able to use it when I upgrade to the 7al box?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Msd coil

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MSD.gif
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

freddiejip wrote:If I was to buy the msd blaster hvc 2 coil right now, would I be able to use it when I upgrade to the 7al box?
As the chart says:
You would be best served to get the regular E-core type "Blaster HVC 8252" to be used with either application. I've been there.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
freddiejip

Post by freddiejip »

Thank you. How much of a difference in performance is there between the blaster hvc and the blaster hvc 2, and the same question for the 6al vs the 7al. My coil and ignition box I'm running right now is pro comp. Had an issue earlier this spring with a spark on the coil but got it straightened out but am now looking to upgrade it but still use the 6al box I have for now. I'm running around 14:1 and between 7500 and 8000 rpms right now. Max will be around 8200
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

freddiejip wrote:Thank you. How much of a difference in performance is there between the blaster hvc and the blaster hvc 2, and the same question for the 6al vs the 7al. My coil and ignition box I'm running right now is pro comp. Had an issue earlier this spring with a spark on the coil but got it straightened out but am now looking to upgrade it but still use the 6al box I have for now. I'm running around 14:1 and between 7500 and 8000 rpms right now. Max will be around 8200
When there is more ignition system capability than is required, there will be no difference shown.

If the ignition being used for the combination becomes deficient, a better ignition system will show some improvement.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
freddiejip wrote:If I was to buy the msd blaster hvc 2 coil right now, would I be able to use it when I upgrade to the 7al box?
As the chart says:
You would be best served to get the regular E-core type "Blaster HVC 8252" to be used with either application. I've been there.
So have I.

The real difference is a coil that can handle the 7AL and one that can't. I run the HVC II with my 7al3 box. Had 2 other coils fail before Bill Jones set me straight 10 years ago.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
BLstangin

Post by BLstangin »

I wouldn't recommend using the hvc 2 coil #8261 with a 6al box I tried that as a buddy gave me the coil. I made it 150 miles before I fried the amplifier in the box. I called Msd and they said they couldn't believe I made it that far. Switched to a 7al3 box and has been good ever since.
70 mustang coupe restored with the help of my Dad and LOTS of friends. 306 490hp/398ft lbs t56 magnum 5.00 gear
1986 F150 standard cab short bed build in progress!
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

BLstangin wrote:I wouldn't recommend using the hvc 2 coil #8261 with a 6al box I tried that as a buddy gave me the coil. I made it 150 miles before I fried the amplifier in the box. I called Msd and they said they couldn't believe I made it that far. Switched to a 7al3 box and has been good ever since.
I am at a loss....
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Seanh832
Pro
Pro

Post by Seanh832 »

Ive been running the Blaster HVC II with a 6al since the coil was released, on the street and strip and never had any issues.
Maintenance Machinist for Anheuser-Busch
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Seanh832 wrote:Ive been running the Blaster HVC II with a 6al since the coil was released, on the street and strip and never had any issues.
Of course.

There are 2 distinctly different "HVC II" coils ... the blue Blaster 8253 to couple with the 6 series boxes and the red Pro-Power 8261 just for the 7 & 8 series boxes.

The E-Core 8252 is not so ignition sensitive and can be used successfully with both 6 & 7 ignitions, ( not the 8 ), and for extended time...

The 7 series HVC II coil will cause problems with the 6 series boxes and the 6 series HVC II coil will work with 7 series boxes but, not perform as efficiently.

In the end, it is your choice where to spend your money.