rod bearing question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

AC sports
Pro
Pro
rod bearing question

Post by AC sports »

I'm using some hi po Carillo rods in an alfa race engine build. The rods don't have oil spray holes. The bearings I have for these rods have holes for use with OEM style rods.
Given I can't find the right bearings without oil holes, can anyone see an issue using them with the said rods.
I'm thinking if anything they may lube a little better since the hole in the bearing will hold a little extra oil....on the flip side maybe the holes in the bearings will act as a weak point and start peeling metal from their edge.
Thoughts please.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: rod bearing question

Post by Warp Speed »

Any void in a rod bearing, even the tang, gives a place for the hydrodynamic wedge to escape to. Not best case for sure, but if that is the only bearing offered, it is what it is.
vwchuck
Expert
Expert

Post by vwchuck »

Just so the oil pressure can't get to the backside of the bearing shell and push it out from the rod somehow. I doubt there is enough cross sectional area in the hole to accomplish this though
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

Whose bearings do you have? Which Alfa? King is now making bearings for the 101, 105 and 115 series engines.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Are these the rods with recalcitrant bolts?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

OK. I see king's have them listed for the 105 series. But not sure if they too have oil holes. I'll email them.
These are another rod for another engine Kevin. I finally did shift those old bolts. They were fiat twin cam rods. I think I'll have the same issue finding bearings without holes for those too, hence my question.
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

The King bearings do not have holes.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

OK. Bought some king bearings without holes.
Can anyone still answer the original question though, cause I can't get them for the Fiat build.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

AC sports wrote:OK. Bought some king bearings without holes.
Can anyone still answer the original question though, cause I can't get them for the Fiat build.
As said in my first post, any void in the bearing face isn't a good thing, but weather it will be detrimental depends on how hard things are pushed. At some level of rpm and oil flow, it can cause a failure. Hard to know if you are operating at or near this limit without experience and post inspection.
If no other bearings are offered, it is what it is.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Fair enough. Makes sense. And I can envisage long term the bearing metal beginning to peel around the blind hole.
Hopefully someone can chime in that's had some experience running them as such to provide some real world feedback.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Porsche 924 Turbo 2.0 ran them and it was critical that they were present rather than what you are asking -- but I agree with Jay that it is not a great idea for the pressure gradient.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

Kevin Johnson wrote:Porsche 924 Turbo 2.0 ran them and it was critical that they were present rather than what you are asking -- but I agree with Jay that it is not a great idea for the pressure gradient.
Do you mean the holes improved performance?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

4sfed wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:Porsche 924 Turbo 2.0 ran them and it was critical that they were present rather than what you are asking -- but I agree with Jay that it is not a great idea for the pressure gradient.
Do you mean the holes improved performance?
Well, when people put bearings in without the oil squirter hole being present the pistons overheated. The Audi block was used in a van of some sort as well.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

I have built BBC race engines using the rod bearing with a hole in the bottom shell that was to be used in aluminum rods with the brass pin and never had any bearing problems when using steel rods with no pin.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

That's the sort of answer I was looking for. If anyone else has some real world examples I'd like to hear about them.