best stamped sbc rockers

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jdperform
Pro
Pro
best stamped sbc rockers

Post by jdperform »

Who makes the best most fatigue resisting stock ball stud type rocker arm for sbc? We are having trouble galling in a bomber motor, stamped stock rockers are rule required. And they DO tech them .FT .365 lobe lift camshaft Nothing fancy will stay with 1.5 ratio. Tried Pioneer
pamotorman
Guru
Guru
Re: best stamped sbc rockers

Post by pamotorman »

make sure the oil is not over shooting the rocker balls. have you tried the Kool Nuts the chevy uses on the crate race engines ? https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... -kool-nuts
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I think they make TiN(?) "plated" rockers and balls if you want to look?

The plating allows spring pressures up to like 400 pounds if not mistaken before they gall?

And stock SBC type rockers shouldn't be ran at 350 pounds and above per CC and their cast steel magnum roller tipped rockers.

pdq67
dfitz16

Post by dfitz16 »

I used to have luck with the Howards stuff, i would deburr them, then REM polish them. Use short valve covers, when polished it was easy to see dis coloration 90% of the time driver side would change first, then just swap sides.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

The Elgin heavy duty ones- but as posted above oil deflectors and do not restrict oil to the top end
psychomotors
Pro
Pro

Post by psychomotors »

pamotorman wrote:make sure the oil is not over shooting the rocker balls. have you tried the Kool Nuts the chevy uses on the crate race engines ? https://www.summitracing.com/search/pro ... -kool-nuts
This is what I have used with success.
Everyone appreciates your honesty , until you're honest with them , then you're an @$$hole.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

I've always lapped each ball to it's rocker using diamond paste. Don't know for sure if this helps but seems like it should. Cleaned thoroughly afterward.
mikekesan

Post by mikekesan »

Elgin Black Ice has been very good.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

This is exactly what the molyslip e oil supplement in the oil will help.

Id also reduce cam lobe lift to .346---.350"

teduce excessive spring pressure 115-120 seat 330-350 max open..

less is better.. get a cam that likes less pressure.

swsp to the gm ls valve springs... same or more rpm less pressure..

Max oiling flow to rockrrs and springs.. cooling and lube flow. pre break in new rockers w less spring pressure just as you would the new cam.
its the same job... isky, trw, crane, howards rockers. The summit rocker may well be just as good.. all new rockers need breakin run time to seat.

http://www.molyslip.com it works on just this stuff.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

I've had good luck with breaking in the rockers on the intakes, using CMD#3, and moving them to the exhaust after a short run in. I also kept the push rods with the rocker they were mated to. (SBC's) Properly broken in stamped rockers should be able to hold up well with #140 seat loads and for a considerable time with #180 seat loads. Back in the stone age, stamped rockers were used with roller cams, but lifts were only around .500". If you measure the radius of the ball with a radius gage, that will give you the pivot center distance for help determining mid-lift and proper pushrod lengths.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken