If YOU were building a 410 sprint car motor

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
Re: If YOU were building a 410 sprint car motor

Post by englertracing »

wyrmrider wrote:If I was starting with a clean sheet of paper and some r&d dollars and wanted to win I'd sure check out the Dodge heads- they seem to have both a good low end- good top end ant broad torque curve - at least on gas
and the LS is a no brainer- but then many may be looking at them

I have seen them before but i just googled them again
yes they look to have potential, semi hemi or quench hemi, quench pads on either side of the chamber, twin spark plugs
you would have to run twin magnetos (that top fuel look lol)
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I would copy what the #1 guy is running.
Joe Facciano
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Hard to beat him doing that
he will on to something better by the time you copy his old build
BTW life member of Lake Elizabeth Ranch Club
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

The old Lake Elizabeth Ranch Club went broke about 8 years ago. Some guy bought the $30 million facility at auction for around $900k. Bank took a bath.
Joe Facciano
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

englertracing wrote: for a kid
he is good, but new to sprint cars
Go with a 410 Chevy. Std formula 90% are running. It's been well developed in sprints for so long, you're not going to have many surprises. You want an engine that makes competitive power, and is reliable. You've got a young driver that needs to learn about driving a car with a power to weight ratio under 1hp/2lbs, and how each setup change effects the car. You don't need to be spending time developing new engine combinations.
When Ford decided to get back into Sprints with their Yates headed engine in the 90's, they had a top engine builder and a very experienced sprint car driver and team, and it still took years to become competitive. Just figuring out injector location was a major deal, and worth 30hp.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

75HP race Kart to a 410 Sprinter? Uhhh....OK.....might want to screw him into a Midget 1st....cheaper to run and the driver will really have to master his driving techniques to get on top of a front running Midget....after a successful apprenticeship in Midgets full on Sprint Car will come a lot easier....Jeff Gordon, Stewart....many others came up that route.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

CamKing wrote:How good is the driver?
When I was making cams for Jac Haudenschild's engine builder, I would get other engine builders calling me up, and saying they wanted the same cam that Jac had. I would always tell them, no you don't. Jac was able to keep the RPM's up, way above what most of the other drivers could, and this allowed for the cam and engine to be focused on making the power in a higher RPM band, then other engines. It was the same thing with Dirt Latemodel driver, Scott Bloonquist.

Good reply Mike!!!!!
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

CamKing wrote:
Go with a 410 Chevy. Std formula 90% are running. It's been well developed in sprints for so long, you're not going to have many surprises. You want an engine that makes competitive power, and is reliable. You've got a young driver that needs to learn about driving a car with a power to weight ratio under 1hp/2lbs, and how each setup change effects the car. You don't need to be spending time developing new engine combinations.
When Ford decided to get back into Sprints with their Yates headed engine in the 90's, they had a top engine builder and a very experienced sprint car driver and team, and it still took years to become competitive. Just figuring out injector location was a major deal, and worth 30hp.
Another good reply Mike.
It might be a good idea to start a thread on power versus handling, braking cornering and DRIVER CAPABILITY!!!
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

ZEOHSIX wrote:75HP race Kart to a 410 Sprinter? Uhhh....OK.....might want to screw him into a Midget 1st....cheaper to run and the driver will really have to master his driving techniques to get on top of a front running Midget....after a successful apprenticeship in Midgets full on Sprint Car will come a lot easier....Jeff Gordon, Stewart....many others came up that route.

In california they run midgets very seldom.
with a midget if your down on hp, even just a little, your not going to win they aren't exactly over powered... you have to have THE BEST period
whereas the sprint car, if your down a bit on power you may still win because they are over powered
they run sprints every weekend here

Reguarding the karts,
you dont know...
https://youtu.be/r4O_uk4yIyo
https://youtu.be/fA_TbY2sVmI
white and silver 35 car with black and yellow numbers

https://youtu.be/VCbDn5EbFjM
red 35 car
https://youtu.be/cfk_TR6zRtI

my driver is competent, knows what he wants from a setup, knows what he wants from an engine, throttle linkage ratios, sets up his own gearing all that.
we have a former sprint car track champion in every race the white 7 car with red numbers
from him and others the sprint cars are easier to drive because they have suspension
we have passed many "sprint car drivers" when they come to our track.
so id like to leave him out of the discussion
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

CamKing wrote:

so mike,
would you really choose a brodix headed chevy deal over a ford with a chi head?

https://youtu.be/oJRMLfrlPvg

you can tell just by looking at those heads they mean more business than a chevy lol
it looks much more pro stock

do any pro stocks still use the Chevy intake port pattern? or are they all spread port

if these guys can make 860 on pump for the street............... yes i know with 50 something more cubic inches
why wouldn't i be able to make 850+ on methanol with appropriate camshaft and CR and the injection....???
I would use more up to date box bridge pistons
and jesel stainless rockers.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I think the BK I was involved with was more like 50 years ago
IT'S NOT MY FAULT
much ash?
dennis h
HotPass
HotPass

Post by dennis h »

englertracing wrote:Just wanted to hear what you would build if you were building your own 410 sprint car motor
as detailed a parts list as you can

I have a parts list for what i would do, but its on my other computer at work and i don't want to recreate it right now so i will post it up later

Thanks,
Aaron Englert
What are the engine rules?

dennis h
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

englertracing wrote:so mike,
How many 410 sprint car engines have you built ? If less then 10, then yes, I'd go with a Chevy. I would look at the All-Pro heads and The Brodix. Shaver had his own heads made, but I have not seen them.

I don't care how good your driver is, it's a huge step to go from a kart with no suspension, to a 410 sprint car. He's going to have to get use to how the suspension reacts to small changes, and how the acceleration/deceleration of 900hp effects the suspension. Never-mind having to adjust to double the power to weight ratio.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

CamKing wrote:
englertracing wrote:so mike,
How many 410 sprint car engines have you built ? If less then 10, then yes, I'd go with a Chevy. I would look at the All-Pro heads and The Brodix. Shaver had his own heads made, but I have not seen them.

I don't care how good your driver is, it's a huge step to go from a kart with no suspension, to a 410 sprint car. He's going to have to get use to how the suspension reacts to small changes, and how the acceleration/deceleration of 900hp effects the suspension. Never-mind having to adjust to double the power to weight ratio.
he will be getting started on that this Wednesday.
proheader
Pro
Pro

Post by proheader »

Call Al Parker at Parker Machine.....end of topic....