Holley Avenger EFI on Budget 532 lbs-ft 383

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Holley Avenger EFI on Budget 532 lbs-ft 383

Post by RevTheory »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:21 pm I'm afraid of what the velocity of that poor valve would look like... Make an engine that sounds like a machine gun, rather than a sewing machine at 6,200RPM??

I'm assuming 1.7 rockers on these cams isn't going to be a recommended practice from COMP for street-going SBCs...

Adam
I haven't asked Comp about that yet but I'm just as leary as you are. My thinking (God help me!) is that guys use those lobes all the time on BBCs with higher ratios and heavier valves but if I'm out in the weeds here, please tell me before I do something really, really stoopid.

I'd never run that lobe on 1.7s without talking to Godbold first, though.
fastblackracing

Post by fastblackracing »

Sometimes more fuel will make more power.....just depends on how far off
a carbs AFR is throughout the rpm range....typically they are only correct
in a small window unless someone who is very good at carby's has done a
custom work up on it.....EFI will typically allow that small window to become
a much bigger one....the ability to control timing is huge also.....engine might
need 2 advance curves 1 up to peak torque and then a bit more from peak
torque to peak horsepower.

And yes the dyno rooms controlled conditions will help the engine to achieve
max numbers over what you get in the real world with under hood heat and
water temps hitting 200F but that is what the dyno is for....to develop and
try different things.

The intake port size and airspeed along with a cam that is optimized for this
particular combo is critical for hitting the max torque and wide rpm spread....
change the cam, make the port too big and put a single plane on with big header
tubes and watch 100 Ft. lbs's disappear instantly.....at the rpm target.

This is a good build that could be a little better with more $$ but represents a great
bang for the buck as it stands.

And cyclone used to make a great line of budget AR headers that were right in line
with what you would want for a build like this....I think they were 140$$ or so IIRC.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I never understood using unreal oil and water temp to get a big dyno #, it seems a waste of time to tune an engine on the dyno only to have to re-tune it one in the real world.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Bos's5.0
Pro
Pro

Post by Bos's5.0 »

I wonder why the OEM's don't use tight lobes with tons of overlap.. I mean it sounds like the greatest thing ever.

Also, heaven help everyone else who has the share the road with your motherthumpr cams and visible vapor trail of unburnt fuel.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Bos's5.0 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 pm I wonder why the OEM's don't use tight lobes with tons of overlap.. I mean it sounds like the greatest thing ever.

Also, heaven help everyone else who has the share the road with your motherthumpr cams and visible vapor trail of unburnt fuel.
Emissions and thats why they are down on power from the factory in comparison to what they are capable of and why the 1st thing the owner changes to increase power is the cam, almost always with more overlap.

In the case of the GM 572 that DV did test work on he reduced both duration and LSA from what GM had from the factory but was near the same overlap and gained power through out the power band, so a tighter LSA does not always mean more overlap.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

These guys have a nasty habit of building stout engines.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:35 pm...
P.S. Sorry guys, I just realized I posted 5x in a row like a nut-job; didn't mean to take over the thread... ;-)
It's all good; likely not too many Speedtalkers remember the old Burma-Shave signs: https://www.google.ca/search?q=burma+sh ... e&ie=UTF-8

:lol:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

MadBill wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 pm
NewbVetteGuy wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 4:35 pm...
P.S. Sorry guys, I just realized I posted 5x in a row like a nut-job; didn't mean to take over the thread... ;-)
It's all good; likely not too many Speedtalkers remember the old Burma-Shave signs: https://www.google.ca/search?q=burma+sh ... e&ie=UTF-8

:lol:

I remember those ..... wait a minute what's that mean?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Just that you have to drive a mile to get Newb's whole story... :D
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

MadBill wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am Just that you have to drive a mile to get Newb's whole story... :D
Hey, I resemble that remark! ;-)

-I remember taking a Project Management course a few years back, they were talking about the process that some experimental projects go through where there is just so much that you don't know, you can only plan one phase of the project at a time. In phase one you just learn what's required to move into Phase 2 and how long it's going to take to complete Phase 2. Your goal is to be able to learn enough to understand what you need to do in the next phase, what the sequence of activities are and how long they might take. They called this a "Progressive Elaboration Project". -I immediately thought, "I think my brain works via progressive elaboration!"

External processing of information is a curse, I think.

Adam
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:24 pm
MadBill wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am Just that you have to drive a mile to get Newb's whole story... :D
Hey, I resemble that remark! ;-)

-I remember taking a Project Management course a few years back, they were talking about the process that some experimental projects go through where there is just so much that you don't know, you can only plan one phase of the project at a time. In phase one you just learn what's required to move into Phase 2 and how long it's going to take to complete Phase 2. Your goal is to be able to learn enough to understand what you need to do in the next phase, what the sequence of activities are and how long they might take. They called this a "Progressive Elaboration Project". -I immediately thought, "I think my brain works via progressive elaboration!"

External processing of information is a curse, I think.

Adam
As DV says, everything you learn about the internal combustion engine opens a Pandora box into everything you don't know. :)
Please Note!