Looking for a family hauler/tow vehicle...need opinions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Re: Looking for a family hauler/tow vehicle...need opinions

Post by jacksoni »

roc wrote:An acquaintance from work was very excited when bought a large camper to be bumper-towed by his 3/4 ton (not dually). Back from their first trip, he reported it was very unstable/unsafe, sold it right away and lever looked back.
Load leveler and sway control hitch with proper attention to weight placement might have fixed that but is a done deal.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

I haven't been able to find a E-350 van with the 7.3 with under 350k miles, but if I do that may be ideal.

The terrain here is flat/gently rolling hills, but the places we like to go are normally in the mountains.

This won't be a primary use vehicle...maybe 5-6k miles a year. We have a minivan for our normal day to day operations.

The more I read the more I'm leaning towards an 8.1 suburban. People say empty that the fuel mileage is only 1-2mpg worse than the 6.0, but much more effortless towing. I've found a few for what I consider a decent price that I'm going to go look at this weekend.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Loaded or not, the 09 GMC 6.0 and the 02 Chevy 8.1 my buddy had/has got about the same, if anything, the 8.1 would get better mileage, but since it WILL pull hills and not struggle, he uses the power the 8.1 has.

The 8.1 also really responds to modifications.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I have a 78 Dodge 15 passenger Maxi van with a 440 that I use for the same purpose- 3K a year, dual tanks :), dual rear shocks (hook the second pair up when towing) with air bags, big sway bars, load leveler hitch
440 has one of my Motorhome specials in it- 67 heads etc
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

The vans esp suburbans can be had cheap. Truck chassis but can haul the kiddos
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

You might want to consider a motorhome. There are legal benefits with regard to weight/length etc.. Motorhomes are exempt from most of the DOT laws.

Not to mention they sleep better, have bathroom, shower, water, etc.. etc.. and you can always have the wife make ya' a sammy on the way... :D
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

also consider Ford V10 maxivan (whatever) everyone I've seen has max cooling. big oil and tranny coolers etc
I have my guys grab the coolers everytime we see one in the yard
good idea- ask the wive about a motorhome but 350-360 forget it
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

stealth wrote:You might want to consider a motorhome. There are legal benefits with regard to weight/length etc.. Motorhomes are exempt from most of the DOT laws.

Not to mention they sleep better, have bathroom, shower, water, etc.. etc.. and you can always have the wife make ya' a sammy on the way... :D
That was my thought!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

Ten years ago when I was shopping for my 2500HD duramax pickup I found several Chevy and GMC 3500HD vans with the duramax diesel. I don't know what seating arrangements were available, or if they were all base work trucks, but that might be an alternative to a suburban and would get you the diesel for towing. I guess it comes down to what else you want the vehicle for besides vacations. If that's it, get a motorhome so you don't have to park and store two vehicles. If it will be a daily driver get a suburban with enough seats and live with the poorer towing capacity since you will only tow 1-3 times a year anyway. Etc.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

My race bike rider has a 04 Ford 4x4 Excursion with the dreaded 6.0 Diesel... We use it to haul the race bikes towing a 25 foot toy hauler trailer... It certainly tows the trailer down the hiway but the leather seats feel like concrete and it rides like a lumber wagon....It's more exhausting than it needs to be... The 6.o is a whole new story...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

ijames wrote:Ten years ago when I was shopping for my 2500HD duramax pickup I found several Chevy and GMC 3500HD vans with the duramax diesel. I don't know what seating arrangements were available, or if they were all base work trucks, but that might be an alternative to a suburban and would get you the diesel for towing. I guess it comes down to what else you want the vehicle for besides vacations. If that's it, get a motorhome so you don't have to park and store two vehicles. If it will be a daily driver get a suburban with enough seats and live with the poorer towing capacity since you will only tow 1-3 times a year anyway. Etc.
The 3500HD diesel vans should be available as 12 seaters (reg wheelbase) and 15 (extended). Bear in mind, the power ratings of the Dmax in vans is dropped - 250 / 260 hp, and 460/525 ft-lbs depending on what years. It is possible it is mated to the 6L series transmissions causing the reduction?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Might consider something from ford with the 6.0 diesel between 05-07. Kicks butt but there are some things to learn about that engine. It needs stellar maintenance to perform it's best and last. Study up and you are golden.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Dave Koehler wrote:Might consider something from ford with the 6.0 diesel between 05-07. Kicks butt but there are some things to learn about that engine. It needs stellar maintenance to perform it's best and last. Study up and you are golden.
I know more than a few people with the 6.0 including our daughter... The money to keep them running through head gasket failures and injection issues is north of 4000 bucks...But once all that is done and some upgrades, they are ok.... :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

Rizzle wrote:
ijames wrote:Ten years ago when I was shopping for my 2500HD duramax pickup I found several Chevy and GMC 3500HD vans with the duramax diesel. I don't know what seating arrangements were available, or if they were all base work trucks, but that might be an alternative to a suburban and would get you the diesel for towing. I guess it comes down to what else you want the vehicle for besides vacations. If that's it, get a motorhome so you don't have to park and store two vehicles. If it will be a daily driver get a suburban with enough seats and live with the poorer towing capacity since you will only tow 1-3 times a year anyway. Etc.
The 3500HD diesel vans should be available as 12 seaters (reg wheelbase) and 15 (extended). Bear in mind, the power ratings of the Dmax in vans is dropped - 250 / 260 hp, and 460/525 ft-lbs depending on what years. It is possible it is mated to the 6L series transmissions causing the reduction?
My understanding is that the diesels in the vans are de-rated because the intercooling isn't as effective, not as much airflow through the engine compartment. It's also possible that since the vans are mostly marketed as commercial vehicles and aren't subject to the tow-rating race that the pickups are having, they simply de-rated them in the interest of reliability.
BBO Omega

Post by BBO Omega »

For the size trailer you are talking about, find a 1500 Suburban with a 5.3, and add a Magnacharger TVS1900, and you will love the results.
73 Omega, 468 BBO, 4.185 ICON Pistons,RR/Wenzler Heads with HS 1.7 rockers and PAC 1220X Springs,J&S 5-main Halo with Billet Caps, .590I .580E 242I 256E HR Cam, 1000hp Carb,2" x 3 1/2" headers,Coan 2900rpm Conv.,TH400,3.73 12 bolt,11.32/118