General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ap72
Guru
Guru
Re: Microsquirt help please!

Post by ap72 »

Thanks for the education!
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

You get this sorted yet?
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
CCA Racing Products - Torque Plates and Engine Rebuild Tooling
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Rick Finsta wrote:You get this sorted yet?

Hopefully this weekend. I'll finally get some time to sit down and try all of the recommended adjustments on here.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

I hear ya! Never enough time.
Mike Gallo, President
Protohawk - Design/Prototyping, Small Project Support, and Contract Manufacturing
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Tried all the tips given. It made no difference.
user-23911

Post by user-23911 »

Combination of wrong parts used and used in the wrong way?

Wrong coils?
Too much dwell?
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

joe 90 wrote:Combination of wrong parts used and used in the wrong way?

Wrong coils?
Too much dwell?

I think it's wiring/settings. Had the coils paired coming off ignition 1 and 2 outputs. I'm going to use the additional accessory outputs and unpair them.
Paul Rig

Post by Paul Rig »

autometer make a unit (rpm signal adapter #9117) that pulls the signal for tach from the positive power feed for the coils.
came in handy for me.
ECU should be set to falling edge and once you get it running lock the timing, give it it a rev if the timing changes you need to swap the two wires going to the vr sensor.
There are a few motors that use rising edge but I think mostly the Honda's.
Rick Finsta
Pro
Pro

Post by Rick Finsta »

Alright - if you can post up a datalog and your .MSQ I can take a look and see if there is anything glaring in the settings.
Mike Gallo, President
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

ap72 wrote:

Wrong coils?
Too much dwell?

I think it's wiring/settings. Had the coils paired coming off ignition 1 and 2 outputs. I'm going to use the additional accessory outputs and unpair them.
This should work. Make sure you have them in the proper firing order, and set "wasted spark" - for now. (consider sequential later)

Meanwhile, I would use test mode to make sure the coils are being fired in the right order . Spark output A should have 1st and 3rd cylinders in the firing order, output B should have 2nd and 4th. You have a good trigger input already IMO. Take the plugs out, crank it with the starter, look at timing on the balancer and adjust tooth #1 angle til it matches commanded cranking advance, which is usually defaulted to 10*.

After passing that test, it'll start.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

dieselgeek wrote:
ap72 wrote:

Wrong coils?
Too much dwell?

This should work. Make sure you have them in the proper firing order, and set "wasted spark" - for now. (consider sequential later)

Meanwhile, I would use test mode to make sure the coils are being fired in the right order . Spark output A should have 1st and 3rd cylinders in the firing order, output B should have 2nd and 4th. You have a good trigger input already IMO. Take the plugs out, crank it with the starter, look at timing on the balancer and adjust tooth #1 angle til it matches commanded cranking advance, which is usually defaulted to 10*.

After passing that test, it'll start.
It starts every time. And that is how I have it wired. It just won't rev. Falls flat at 1300rpm. Idles steady though. Possibly a noisy signal? Anyway to tell?
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

Any lost sync counts and reasons in your datalog? what does the timing light do when you rev it? scatter or steady?
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
USMC_Spike
Pro
Pro

Post by USMC_Spike »

So I have to ask are these fun to work with?
FOUND: new improved smaller non-ricer pic
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

USMC_Spike wrote:So I have to ask are these fun to work with?

Yea, they're great. This is the 3rd unit I've used. I was getting noise in my signals so I'm properly rewording the whole thing. Admittedly the first go around was just kind of thrown in there to see if I could get the engine working.
Daryl S.

Post by Daryl S. »

" Spark output A should have 1st and 3rd cylinders in the firing order, output B should have 2nd and 4th"

Better take a second look at this one...

It should be 1, 4 and 2, 3 as the pairing on most inline 4 cyl engines.

Easy fix.