What oil to use on a small block Chevy street car?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

roc
Expert
Expert

Re: What oil to use on a small block Chevy street car?

Post by roc »

elmeano wrote:That Brad Penn oil sounds like a bargain @4.00/quart, cant argue with that.
Where do you guys normally get Brad Penn oil?
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Seanh832 wrote:Amsoil Z-Rod. Made significantly more power than VR1 in my 434 on the dyno..

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m ... e=ZRFQT-EA
so did Royal Purple in their propaganda video it's all semantics any horsepower gain between the same weight of oil will be negligible. If an independent third-party comes out when does a side-by-side comparison I would look at it as more legitimate the stars all goes just about anything that says racing has zddp in it I'm thinking about 8 different brands and marketing this type of oil Joe Gibbs Racing oil Brad Penn Royal Purple Valvoline VR1 Redline racing oil are a few of them like stated previously the viscosity should be a primary concern along with the zinc content. I never have been brand specific cause of years ago but I work in a Dodge and Chevrolet dealership people used to bring their vehicle and thinking I was getting GM oil genuine AC Delco when in reality they got whoever vocal contract had the lowest bid that year if it meets the sf sfe xcetera standards on the back of a bottle it meets government and manufacturer specifications I personally use Royal Purple even though it's a little more expensive just because it's convenient for me considering it's only thing Walmart sells that has zink in my area.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Just wondering about the zMAX treatment does anybody have any input on a benefits of this regarding to the valve train components protection?
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Also the STP oil treatment has zddp additive. I don't know what concentration but I have wondered if that's enough to sufficiently supplement 5 quarts of conventional oil
BigBlocksOnTop2
Pro
Pro
Location: Chancellorsville Battle Field, Chancellorsville, Virginia

Post by BigBlocksOnTop2 »

roc wrote:
elmeano wrote:That Brad Penn oil sounds like a bargain @4.00/quart, cant argue with that.
I live in the Fredericsksburg, Va. area. I get my Brad Penn from Quarles Petroleum Company. They are just a distributer. Google for a dist. in your area.
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

I have run Castrol 10W30 GTX for the last 5 years no problems at all. Be careful with the synthetics unless you know how your engine is sealed up :D
Sometimes with average street engines I think we get a little carried away on oil selection, imo most of the major brands will work just fine.
Tom
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I used 15-40 Rotella in my flat tappet engine.
I'm using 10-30 Mobil One in my hyd. roller engine.
Jim
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

I have used Brad Penn 10W-30 RACING OIL, good oil. I dont want any synthetic oil in my engine.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

Rotella isnt like it used to be has less of what a FT motor needs leave it for diesels
Quality of parts imo has more to do with failures than oil

Had numerous failures on "fast ramp" FT cams back when the good kendall was around
At a point you just need to go roller. Who cares about 5-10 ft lbs if it puts your motor at risk
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

BigBlocksOnTop2 wrote:
roc wrote:
I live in the Fredericsksburg, Va. area. I get my Brad Penn from Quarles Petroleum Company. They are just a distributer. Google for a dist. in your area.
Thanks!
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

I am thinking Brad Penn SAE 3O Weight oil. Any input on this? Not into synthetic oil at this point to use in this street motor. I dont know the specs, clearances, etc.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Given you don't know what exactly is in the engine I'd use a weight lower on the next change, as long as you get 15psi oil pressure at a hot idle then I'd go with that. For brand, everyone has their preference. A quick easily available combo is valvoline with a zddp additive. Easily found locally, reliable, and cheap. Brad pen seems to be good too but not available everywhere. I've always been impressed with what valvoline delivers for the price. It's also super easy to find.

I try to avoid mail order oil if I can. Just my thing.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
hereinmissoula

Post by hereinmissoula »

Seanh832
Pro
Pro

Post by Seanh832 »

gvx wrote:
Seanh832 wrote:Amsoil Z-Rod. Made significantly more power than VR1 in my 434 on the dyno..

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/m ... e=ZRFQT-EA
so did Royal Purple in their propaganda video it's all semantics any horsepower gain between the same weight of oil will be negligible. If an independent third-party comes out when does a side-by-side comparison I would look at it as more legitimate the stars all goes just about anything that says racing has zddp in it I'm thinking about 8 different brands and marketing this type of oil Joe Gibbs Racing oil Brad Penn Royal Purple Valvoline VR1 Redline racing oil are a few of them like stated previously the viscosity should be a primary concern along with the zinc content. I never have been brand specific cause of years ago but I work in a Dodge and Chevrolet dealership people used to bring their vehicle and thinking I was getting GM oil genuine AC Delco when in reality they got whoever vocal contract had the lowest bid that year if it meets the sf sfe xcetera standards on the back of a bottle it meets government and manufacturer specifications I personally use Royal Purple even though it's a little more expensive just because it's convenient for me considering it's only thing Walmart sells that has zink in my area.
Considering we did back to back runs on the dyno with no other changes other than oil and filter id say it's not propaganda. Even the dyno operator said he's a believer and that the VR1 sucked in comparison. Both were 20/50 and oil pressure was rock steady with the Z-Rod but started dropping off with the VR1 between 6000-7300. Westside Performance and Machine in Houston Texas dyno'd it.
Maintenance Machinist for Anheuser-Busch
hereinmissoula

Post by hereinmissoula »

pretty sure vr1 has higher test ratings than z-rod.. in every real tests I have seen... and it's conventional..

does require shorter change interval.. but better oil...

actually the vr1 out performs dominator oil..

crazy on your dyno tests.. I would not personally use 20-50 in anything except endurance/road race high oil temp or turbo applications. Unless your clearances were specifically setup for it.

straight weight oil is hard on startups and is for specific applications.. outdated technology ...

10w-30 should be more than enough in my apprentice opinion. I have not built hundreds of engines, but I haven't lost one I have built yet............