General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Re: Porting ques

Post by induction apprentice »

Kevin Johnson wrote:https://www.google.com/search?q=foot+co ... c+grinders

Be careful of air tool quality. I purchased some cheap ones and the chucks all had excessive run-out. Besides being dangerous they will damage the nerves in your hands. Not worth returning them -- tossed.

I never made the leap until you just pointed this out. I wonder if the constant harmonic from the carbides is responsible for some recent carpal tunnel symptoms :idea:
Between numbing for arms / wrists and the now fresh set of glasses I just bought specific for porting. It is becoming clear to me I am in fact aging rapidly.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Be careful of air tool quality. I purchased some cheap ones and the chucks all had excessive run-out. Besides being dangerous they will damage the nerves in your hands. Not worth returning them -- tossed.

This is true I only grind for short periods with some brands, if I push myself for hours to get something done my hands go numbish, gloves do help some(not the disposable ones). I'll always use air because of the smaller grinders, but I'm gonna look into a electric n controller for heavy material removal. I am not a professional so I can take my time n do some here n there usually. I have mild carpel tunnel but I knew I'd have it eventually before I ever started porting.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Wow! I'm not alone. If I don't grind for a few weeks and then return to it. It takes a few days of very short grinding periods before I can start doing longer periods again. I always assumed my hand and wrist muscles just lost there conditioning for it quickly. Also if I do it too much for too long it lets me know and I have to back off for a few days. I never had those limits in my twenties. I guess it is what it is. Suck it up buttercup.
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

maybe we should look at having Don start a geriatrics engine tech on here as well? We can start all kinds of posts on our aches and pains, c16 in the eyes and burnt bellies from the headers while lashing engines on the dyno. etc etc....

the last one might only pertain to me.
T-flow
Expert
Expert

Post by T-flow »

Rougher the flute faster you'll need to turn them to cut smooth. 4-6 flutes I spin pretty good, but also keep them moving fast.
T-flow Cylinder Heads
www.tflowheads.com
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

I was recommended this for electric control

http://www.foredom.net/csct1speedcontrol.aspx

Seriously dont run a long carbide, get a longer snout and a short carbide keep your speed low
If the carbide is super straight youll love the results. Slow and easy wins the race

Re: adrenaline rush of running a long one too fast and the carnage.....yup done the riverdance a few times.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Very true. My air grinders are ARO or (American made) Ingersol Rand. Great grinders. Pricey, but the tighter tolerances over the cheaper imports is instantly obvious.
Grp5L

Post by Grp5L »

blwilliams wrote:
Nowadays we just use rheostats and foot pedals to control the speed.
I would love to find a foot operated pedal for controlling grinder speed.
Have a good name and PN?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... l&_sacat=0
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

blwilliams wrote:
Have a good name and PN?
Blake, I bought a crummy grinder from HF and stole its foot pedal and threw the rest of it away. I think I paid $20 for the whole grinder and pedal. I would not use an electric grinder without the pedal ever again. It is nice to control speed, but even better to just lift my foot off and have it turn off.

Paul Miller
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

FC-Pilot wrote:
blwilliams wrote:
Have a good name and PN?
Blake, I bought a crummy grinder from HF and stole its foot pedal and threw the rest of it away. I think I paid $20 for the whole grinder and pedal. I would not use an electric grinder without the pedal ever again. It is nice to control speed, but even better to just lift my foot off and have it turn off.

Paul Miller
Sorry Bruce, I had a brain fart and got your name goofed up in my head.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins