Legit benefits to cryo-treated aluminum rockers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: Legit benefits to cryo-treated aluminum rockers?

Post by BradH »

Kevin Johnson wrote:
roc wrote: That's my thinking too. Where is the honest and statistically significant data backing up cryo-treatment?
Well, the first thing I did was to read the citations from the NASA study. Then when I was at that site (one of them) I looked at all their citations. Sometimes knowledge doesn't just fall -- plop -- in your lap.

I would also expect that an effective process would be quite valuable and a trade secret. Thus it might be worthwhile to look at the Chinese research. Often the processes are alloy specific as well.
I'll see if I can uncover any additional info on the subject. My opinion at this point, however, is that the cryogenic treatment being offered by a particular rocker arm vendor isn't going to offer much ROI.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

BradH wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:
roc wrote: That's my thinking too. Where is the honest and statistically significant data backing up cryo-treatment?
Well, the first thing I did was to read the citations from the NASA study. Then when I was at that site (one of them) I looked at all their citations. Sometimes knowledge doesn't just fall -- plop -- in your lap.

I would also expect that an effective process would be quite valuable and a trade secret. Thus it might be worthwhile to look at the Chinese research. Often the processes are alloy specific as well.
I'll see if I can uncover any additional info on the subject. My opinion at this point, however, is that the cryogenic treatment being offered by a particular rocker arm vendor isn't going to offer much ROI.
That's exactly my point. Made NASA, even pencil sharpeners would be impressively superior than the run-of-the-mill counterparts.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

I worked for a gunsmith for a while, cryogenic treating barrels was popular at that time. The major benefit was the stress relieving of the steel. After fluting a barrel or removing a large amount of material. We were told by them (Blackstar Barrels) that it helps realign the grain structure of the steel to eliminate these stressed areas. Barrel stress is not your friend when trying to shoot match winning groups in a bench rifle. Add heat to the barrel and the point of impact will start to change. I would say that same benefit would help with rocker arms too. Maybe it is snake oil, I've never personally done any research to confirm one way or another. One thing is for sure, if one shooter has a new barrel cryoed and it wins a match, then someone is gonna make a pile of money dipping barrels because they all will have it.
clshore
Expert
Expert

Post by clshore »

statsystems wrote: Those who can't do, teach.

I have little respect for teachers any more.

But that's just me.
Ever try it? (teaching)

The job of a teacher is not to know everything or be an expert, it is to facilitate learning in others.
It helps to know what you are talking about, but not really a strict requirement.
Some of the very smartest and well informed people in the world are absolutely horrible teachers.

And vice versa.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

When it comes to engineering, the best teachers I ever had "did it". I was fortunate to go to one of the best engineering schools around and the majority of their staff practiced engineering for years before they began teaching.

I also know folks that work for government organizations and companies like Boeing- don't assume they know everything. In many cases the smaller consulting companies are FAR better in their own niche.

Cryo treatment on anything isn't particularly well understood, even more so for nonferrous metals. It may have legitimate benefits that may show up in wear tests, but these tests will only provide empirical data, which while useful doesn't serve well to formulate theories and rules on how to apply this technique.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

clshore wrote:

But that's just me.
Ever try it? (teaching)

The job of a teacher is not to know everything or be an expert, it is to facilitate learning in others.
It helps to know what you are talking about, but not really a strict requirement.
Some of the very smartest and well informed people in the world are absolutely horrible teachers.

And vice versa.
I'm a doer, not a teacher. Simple as that.

I'll say it again, you can't teach what you don't know.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

statsystems wrote:
clshore wrote:

But that's just me.
Ever try it? (teaching)

And vice versa.
I'm a doer, not a teacher. Simple as that.

I'll say it again, you can't teach what you don't know.
Most people I know with that attitude failed out of college. I guess they're "doing" stuff..
-Bob
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

I'll hold my opinion re: the last few posts and suggest we try to stay on topic, if there is anything further to discuss on it.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

I guess I would question the merits of it being used on aluminum parts. But then again.. if heat treatments can change its mechanical properties.. it certainly seems logical that going towards the minus side of the gauge could very well have some level of impact as well. Not to mention that there are surely other materials mixed in there that may be impacted as well.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Heat treatment is different between ferrous and non ferrous metals. Most steels harden when heated and quenched...non ferrous metals when heated and quenched anneal and get softer. I am not a metallurgist, I am a machinist that has observed some heat treatment at my facility and from annealing brass rifle cases when reloading have researched a few things. Would be nice to hear some input from people who know.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

cryo-treated aluminum after a repair; such as welding. I would do as the welding makes the repair soft. But on a new piece; not a benefit.