OLDHEAD IS NOW OLDFOOL

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

oldhead
Expert
Expert

OLDHEAD IS NOW OLDFOOL

Post by oldhead »

I went to Atco to have some fun.I have not run in4 Years...The last time I hand shifted a car was my 68 firebird(12.70) in 1968 I was a kid...So why can't I shift my Malibu(8.70) first gear lasts almost one second, after all I am ONLY 80........wrong.........I hit the shutoff real bad for a long time. The trans. brake did not work cause I TEMP. wired it.....On the way to the track I noticed the F/A on 8.5 and the car at 50 mph. cruise it was bucking it was to rich. Used 10 gallons of gas in 25 miles(the same home)Next day found the baseplate loose. The loose plate lost about 4# of boost and caused it to run super rich.There I am the best of 9.83 at 144 mph and FEELING REALDOWN and lots of people saying "Car runs real good" want to PUKE...I can't believe it.........................................: )OLDFOOL
Quicker then most
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert
Re: OLDHEAD IS NOW OLDFOOL

Post by The Radius Kid »

Always remember what happened to the last guy that walked on water....
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

I am 72 and I thought I was old. At 80 you have me beat all to hell. Maybe next year might be my last at the track. Maybe? :D
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Too bad we can't do polls anymore on S/T; be neat to see what our age distribution is. (On the other hand, maybe this also-72 year old doesn't want to know that our business/hobby is going grey... #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

I'll be 53 soon so I guess I am a youngin.

I can tell by the dates you guys post up about how old you are.
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

18 YO mentality with 52 YO body and the bones and pains of a 72 YO
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Joint pain? If any of you have any metal fillings in your mouth ( as in real slowly posioning yourself! ) get them ground out and refilled with with the new Ciramic stuff and in 3 months you'll be felling far better!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

mag2555 wrote:Joint pain? If any of you have any metal fillings in your mouth ( as in real slowly posioning yourself! ) get them ground out and refilled with with the new Ciramic stuff and in 3 months you'll be felling far better!
And those God-forsaken root canals that slowly poison you over time :evil:
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

I'll be 64 in a few months and am still foot brakin' it! I'll quit when "I" want to , no sooner.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

My neurologist, Dr. Paul Young, http://health.usnews.com/doctors/paul-young-128658, told me my head is falling off. Great!
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

kirkwoodken wrote:My neurologist, Dr. Paul Young, http://health.usnews.com/doctors/paul-young-128658, told me my head is falling off. Great!
Which one?

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

A buddy of mine will be 83 in a few weeks. Still does all his own car prep / engine building / and driving (road racing). Two weeks ago he passed 24 cars to get to 5th oa before losing 3rd gear.

Here he is ripping up through the field this time last year (just shy of 82). He backs off after passing the silver car to save it for the big race later in the weekend.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=my65yxWENFE
-Bob
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

MadBill wrote:Too bad we can't do polls anymore on S/T; be neat to see what our age distribution is. (On the other hand, maybe this also-72 year old doesn't want to know that our business/hobby is going grey... #-o
It's plenty young still. Maybe just not on this site (I think englertracing and I are probably two of the youngest on here).

I think the boomers have it in their mind that all this will stop with them which is far from the truth.

I think there is some truth in that the younger generations don't have the disposable income - college debt, real estate where work actually is , is high, lack of Union jobs and a good pension means putting more of your money away on your own.

It's kind of a dumb hobby when you think about it... $10-20k a year into a racing budget or put that in a 401k?
-Bob
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

My average end-user customer for a high end 4-speed is probably pushing 70 at this point. I'm just a kid still at 34.
Herb Adams is still going strong and he is in his 80s.