using slick 50.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
using slick 50.

Post by chevy art »

i have 3 pints of slick 50 80-90 wt. gear lube(CALLED EXTREME PRESSURE PROTECTION) that i bought years ago, and was wondering if i could use this stuff straight in my new ford rear, which is a true trac cone type rear end(no clutches). I cant even get a reply that sounds right from the slick 50 company. they told me to throw it out as an was old product and start with new product. bottles have never been opened. thanks. PS how much oil do i put in the brand new housing and center section. thanks art
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Re: using slick 50.

Post by pcnsd »

IMO. Sell it on eBay for what you can get and buy new oil. I like Royal purple for rears, but to each their own. I can't speak to your Ford specifically, but most rears have a fill/overflow port with a bolt that you fill to until you can't. Then you're done.
- Paul
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

If you intend to use it, do not shake it up. Pour out the contents into a different clean container. Carefully examine the bottom of the original bottle to see if the additives have dropped out of solution after sitting so long. If they have then I would suggest not using it. It can be difficult to resolubilize them properly. If you shake the bottle first then that will give you a false impression of what has dropped out.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Use it.... several years ago a bought about 75 quarts of engine oil and gear lube at a yard sale. All this stuff was at least 25 years old... never had any problems with additive drop out.

I thought I had all my lubrication supply worries behind me until my kids discovered the stash and started using it in their own cars. I think I got two or three oil changes out of it.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

now im not sure what to do with it. i will turn the bottles upside-down for a while, and then check it and see whats still at the bottom, just to see what the stuff looks like. il probably just buy new gear lube. the rear is just worth too much money to take a chance with cheaping out on gear lube. thanks art
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Krooser wrote:Use it.... several years ago a bought about 75 quarts of engine oil and gear lube at a yard sale. All this stuff was at least 25 years old... never had any problems with additive drop out.

I thought I had all my lubrication supply worries behind me until my kids discovered the stash and started using it in their own cars. I think I got two or three oil changes out of it.

I don't think Kevin is saying the same thing as you are.

There is a HUGE difference between a formulated, blended engine oil and an additive that was very suspect when it was new.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

I'm with slick50 on this. Throw it out BUT buy something else.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Slick 50? you should be able to put it in the rear and get everything lubed up, then drain all the oil and race it...lol
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Shake the shit up and run it!

Damn!!

It's got to be better than 80/90-140 or whatever the hell it is .

pdq67
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

Its just a planetary gear drive no clutches. Gear to gear its not rocket science even wesson oil will be adequate except under a heavy load. I'm with PDQ, even with the fall out it will be better than 80W90 Synthetic 75W90 will just be a little better if you got an extra $25.00 lying around.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Slick 50?
what's in it?
and Why?
Snake Oil?
what about 75-140 synthetic?
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

ebay it for someone that buys that stuff, regular gear lube is cheap

Remember when that was the big deal in the 80s...people complaining of their oil pickups getting plugged up with teflon? Long time ago.

If you gotta use snake oil try Lucas products
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Marvel, STP, Wynns, Lucas
Ya gotta show me
I forgot Slick 50 was that Teflon Crap
Teflon does EP? Gimme a break
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I found it made a good assembly lube for plain bearings, or at least a good ingredient for it.
I would use it for general purpose assembly lube, also good for control cables ect. and/or mix a quart into this and that, here and there, until it's gone.

Get something nice for your diff; gears are expensive and lube is cheap.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks guys. hers one for you all. spoke to eaton people who make my treu trac. he said any gear lube is ok. he said DO NOT use Valvoline gear lube or Napa gear lube. all others are OK and he said that Lucas is great to use. i would have thought Valvoline would have been fine to use. any comments. thanks art