Custom cut gear for sm465

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

freddiejip
Custom cut gear for sm465

Post by freddiejip »

Wondering where I could get a custom 3rd gear for my sm465 transmission.
jamie
Pro
Pro

Re: Custom cut gear for sm465

Post by jamie »

Call Larry at Profab, Baldwin,WI
freddiejip

Post by freddiejip »

No luck there. All I can get is a 3rd gear but it the wrong ratio. I pull in 1st gear. Only use low for loading. I'd like to change my 2nd gear to a little lower than my first so I can run my 35's still on the real tight tracks
mdabbott2009
Pro
Pro

Post by mdabbott2009 »

What transfercase do you have
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

it'll be way WAY cheaper to adjust your final drive by changing the T-case than re-gearing that blunderbuss of a transmission. Its just not cheap to do, in order to do it right, and you might at well make 5 pieces while you're at it...you are going to be in it probably close to 10-G's. Guys who do sand drags over in the Middle East call us occasionally; and even THEY get sticker shock.
jamie
Pro
Pro

Post by jamie »

Hmmm,not sure I understand what your doing.We would need all your specs,engine,trans,tcase and axle ratios to help you out.
freddiejip

Post by freddiejip »

It's a 2wd puller. Not allowed to run a transfer. Running a 7.20 gear with 35" boggers
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

freddiejip wrote:No luck there. All I can get is a 3rd gear but it the wrong ratio. I pull in 1st gear. Only use low for loading. I'd like to change my 2nd gear to a little lower than my first so I can run my 35's still on the real tight tracks
You pull in first gear and use low for loading.. I assume you mean you pull in second and use first for loading... Then you mention second gear...I assume you mean to the left and down, what you called first gear in the first sentence? second gear is about 3.50 to one....If you search around you might find some of these trannys with second gears in the 4-1 ratio ...The trick is to find one with the Chevy trans bolt pattern....They are out there....

http://www.chevyc60.com/the_transmission_page.htm
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

where are you?
I have one of the older chev 4 speeds with the non synchro but really low low grannie gear- the one the jeeper guys like
IDK what second is
but it might work for U
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

The NP435 has four differt versions/gear ratios.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
user-612937456

Post by user-612937456 »

You will also need a custom counter-shaft or cluster gear to mesh with the new tooth count 2nd or 3rd gear.