any tuning ideas? Edelbrock "street" tunnel ram

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Re: any tuning ideas? Edelbrock "street" tunnel ram

Post by jeff swisher »

The 2 600 cfm's i ran on 2 different engines ran way better all around than a tweaked 4779 double pumper that was modified and flower nearly 890 cfm.
Friend ended up with the tunnelram and 2 600's.
Raced a guy that was talking down to him about running edelbrock carbs.. said he needed to run holleys.
Challenge my buddy to a race.
I said race him and take his money.

He said the guy has a 454SS chevy truck with a 671 blower and 2 holley 750's.
I said race him and take his money.
They raced for free and the 78 nova and tunnelram ran away from the 454..Well got him by 3 lengths anyway from dead stop or a roll.

The guy in the 454 said I do not know what you did those those carbs and that engine but all I heard in my truck was WWWWAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! and your car was gone!

Like F-Bird stated air cleaner makes a difference.
I sold my friend my velocity stacks with 2" thick filters that are quite tall and lots of pleats.. they were wix.
This is the 355 with TR1YX and 2 edelbrock 600's and velocity stacks. Best ever mph in the 1/4 was 117. usually 115-116 mph 292H magnum cam.
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-Nova ... 14820.html
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve K »

I'm currently using a Hilborn style scoop. I do have K&N Stacks as well but the oil for the air filters blows all over my cars and makes a mess so I quit using them. Are stacks the better way to go. Any brand recommendation on stacks with paper filters. Sorry again about the hi-jack. No more questions from me. :D
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I could never get a large enough filter in the scoops. That is why i went with stacks on my tunnel-rams.
You may need to get a wix guy to show you a parts book and find the thickest and tallest filter you can fit with the most pleats.
I do not like K&N type oiled filters. But my experience with them was back in the late 1990's And fine Oklahoma dust would pass through and leave fine grit on my Qjet secondary air valve butterflies and other parts of the carb.
Maybe they are better today. I do not know.

There are some big oval filters for dual 4's never went that path though.

For high speed runs you may benefit from making a plate that blocks the air that hits the front filter.

I actually added a 5" wide section to the lid on the front stack.. basically same thing as putting duct tape on the front 5" of filter ..But the plate left a 1" gap for air to flow.
Little hard to explain.
Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Ar-Simota-Air- ... 1268502526

You may not need the shield ,, I just like to experiment with things.
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve K »

jeff swisher wrote:I could never get a large enough filter in the scoops. That is why i went with stacks on my tunnel-rams.
You may need to get a wix guy to show you a parts book and find the thickest and tallest filter you can fit with the most pleats.
I do not like K&N type oiled filters. But my experience with them was back in the late 1990's And fine Oklahoma dust would pass through and leave fine grit on my Qjet secondary air valve butterflies and other parts of the carb.
Maybe they are better today. I do not know.

There are some big oval filters for dual 4's never went that path though.

For high speed runs you may benefit from making a plate that blocks the air that hits the front filter.

I actually added a 5" wide section to the lid on the front stack.. basically same thing as putting duct tape on the front 5" of filter ..But the plate left a 1" gap for air to flow.
Little hard to explain.
Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Ar-Simota-Air- ... 1268502526

You may not need the shield ,, I just like to experiment with things.
Thanks for the info Jeff.
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

Nice applications for people like me with little to no experience with EFI.

Curious, their port system can be had with or without the intake. On a BBC how would putting this system on different intakes perform, sort of like using a dual plane vs single plane. I imagine the low and mid-range carb differences NOT to be so using the EFI, But would definitely still limit upper RPM by failing to flow.

I have to admit the dual 4's seem to have impressive capability on a short tunnel. If I could make that fit under a stock SS hood I might be very happy.

Decisions can be so hard.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Some of you guys kill me, had a friend with a t ram and 2 500 2 barrels and it ran great, 327 4 speed 69 camaro, 411 gear,,, I would think about 2 750 3310 vs carbs,,, I don't know much about the 500 afb carbs but I bet they do fine for this set up
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

correct- get the 500 AFB's working