General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Supercharged fuel system

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

F-BIRD'88 wrote:
Mrhp wrote:Well I slung the mock up motor in the frame and low and behold, a mechanical pump will not fit, it hits the frame rail. I now have no choice, I get an alternator and electric pump. Oh well, thats the way it goes.This motor will always run race fuel and locked timing. As long as I tune for it, no problem. This car will never see any street duty, and only a few weekends a year at the track. Fuel wont be too bad. Now for an electric pump, bypass regulator, and plumbing!

well there ya go eh... For the pump with your Edelbrock carbs try the simple Carter P4070...
Dirt simple .. flow test it for yourself thru the test orifice equal to the area of your 4 needle seats if you doubt my flow test.
If you don't like it return it... It has plenty PLENTY flow for your deal and is Dirt simple and very 60's.

Note it will actual flow MORE than my flow tests indicate when the alternator is running 13 to 14.5 volts DC
as my flow tests were done at 12 volt DC. The higher voltage with a alternator improves electric fuel pump performance.
Improves the ignition system performance too.

Unlike the hot rod pumps these pumps are Military grade and are made to run full time 100 % duty cycle.
The typical hot rod pretty aftermarket pumps are not and are a fortune to get repaired- rebuilt....

And a fraction of the price. Best $65 (US) you will ever spend. Don't forget the common $5 inline paper element fuel filter.
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

I think I'll step up for a bigger pump than the carter, although the look is right on the money, very 60's. 8)
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you think you need more capacity buy 2 of them. (you don't) The one pump is "bigger" than you need with room to spare.

2 pumps (1 for each carb) will flow 56 GPH x 2 112 GPH thru the 4 x .0935" needle seats (2 carbs)
That is 2 pumps 2 tank pickups, 2 3/8" fuel lines feeding each of your 2 carbs.

You only need 59-60 GPH ish MAX You proved that on the dyno.

The 1 Carter pump will feed that motor with plenty of room to spare through the 4 x .0935" needle sets..

The fact that you have 4 needle seats is a big factor (2 carbs).
It is not the same as trying to feed all the fuel thru 1 4bbl carb (2 needle seats)

If say you did only have 1 carb all you'd need to do is change the needle seats in that carb to the larger .110" needle seats and you would have it covered (63GPH 2 x .110" needle seats)

The two pump feeding the 2 carbs can support a 1200+HP engine at max output.
You DO NOT NEED pressure you NEED FLOW volume.

You can spend more MONEY and make it all more complicated but the job of supplying your motor will all the fuel it needs will not get done any better.
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

I had thought of running dual pumps, but it would get a bit busy with all that plumbing. Will go single pump of some sort.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Mrhp wrote:I had thought of running dual pumps, but it would get a bit busy with all that plumbing. Will go single pump of some sort.

You only need the one P4070 pump...It does the WHOLE JOB. The other one is to just make you feel better.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Those pumps are actually fairly quiet when properly rubber isolation mounted. I have 2 on my car. One is just for nitrous.
One for the motor.
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

I must say, I am learning quite a bit with this discussion, thank you everybody.
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

I have a quick fuel 30-175 pump on the way, along with a 100 micron pre filter. I hope I can package all of this in the space permitted. :shock:
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

Back for my yearly update. Body at the paint shop, and chassis should be done 2 weeks or so, then that will go for blast and paint. Should make the track early summer! Will report back. It got the Quick Fuel pump, alternator, electric water pump, Msd 6al, transbrake, and electric fan. Trying to hide wiring, and such for a clean look is difficult in such a small car.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Sticky tires!
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

Mrhp wrote:Back for my yearly update. Body at the paint shop, and chassis should be done 2 weeks or so, then that will go for blast and paint. Should make the track early summer! Will report back. It got the Quick Fuel pump, alternator, electric water pump, Msd 6al, transbrake, and electric fan. Trying to hide wiring, and such for a clean look is difficult in such a small car.
Ah,an Australian car!
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

Things are a bit out of hand now. Body painted and lettered. Chassis is being prepped. The rest of it is in a pile on the shop floor waiting for reassembly. Much slower than anticipated, but progressing none the less.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mrhp

Post by Mrhp »

Set body on chassis before the lettering just for a look see.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Thats a smoooooth car. Re: posting your pictures.
Download and use Irfanview to adjust size and resolution and flip your pictures as required
and re save as reasonable size JPGs for easy posting on the internet.
Re-size the pictures from your digital camera and re-save before posting them.
They are too big and flipped.
www.irfanview.com A free small footprint effective PC program for fixing your pics for posting.
( And more)

Nice car.