408 SBF with AFR’s latest 220 cnc heads – what power?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ou812
HotPass
HotPass

Re: 408 SBF with AFR’s latest 220 cnc heads – what power?

Post by ou812 »

Thank you David, that was awesome!
Brian Hafliger
IMM Engine & Dyno

http://www.immengines.com
http://www.neilhepburn.com
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Well this 408 is sold. It seems I misquoted the price at $8000 but the buyer was still pleased with a purchase price of $8900 especially as the parts bill at Summit prices was closer to $12,000.

Since then I have had a number of communications asking if I have any other project motors for sale. At the risk of looking like I am advertising the answers yes.
Included in these is an EFI 302 Mustang motor with very good heads (coated, hi-velocity ports, 295 cfm at 600 lift) and a prototype conversion of the GT40 intake manifold which maintains ambient induction air temps (no more icing down the intake here). Previous dyno test showed the modifications to be worth over 25 lbs-ft and nearly 30 hp. This is a slick looking motor (Check out photo)with most of the ancillaries such as alternator water pump, power steering etc.

I also have a killer 427 build going together to test the TFS twisted wedge R heads. These flow very similar #'s to the AFR heads tested on the 408. I am estimating torque at just shy of 600 lbs-ft and HP around 640 The purpose of this build is to show off the DSS 427 short block,the TFS heads and a valve train and intake that will make it all work.

My last BB Chevy was done for the updated copy of my current BBC book volume II. This is an upgraded version of the 496 engine on the front cover of volume I. This street driver had an output of some 788 hp and 689 lbs-ft . The MKII version, which has a 4 3/8 stroke crank (for 511 cubes) instead of 4 1/4 stroke. Had solid roller cam AFR 320 heads, Sniper intake and a few other moves (only to be found in the book) produced 718 lbs-ft and 809 hp on pump gas. This has been sold. We have almost all the parts to build A MKIII version of that plus a about 4 BBC's at displacements from 468 to 652 inches. All at prices below the cost of the parts.

Call Terry Walters ( 540-774-8605) if you are interested in any of these after we have done our testing.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Something tells me that selling your well developed engines at less than cost won't raise any objections from anyone.
So much to do, so little time...
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

The 306 SB Ford shown in the photo a couple of posts back is the next dyno test session. I have done lots of mods in an effort to increase torque output with this style of intake. Over the years I have progressively worked on this intake. At the last test it was over 20 hp up on what it delivered as I got it out of the box.
This engine is also destined for a intake/cylinder and exhaust pressure measurement deal to see what the next steps toward output improvements might be.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

Hi David. I was the one purchased the 408. I was hoping to report earlier, but still waiting on trans and a few other part delays. I have two very similar cars, one already has a similar 408 with the smaller 205 heads and different cam spec'd by someone not on this forum. I can even swap the carbs, the only difference being slightly different rear gearing, cam and heads. It's going in a JBL Roadster weighing 2400#, 5 spd, rocker front suspension and pullrod rear irs, replacing the current 351 w/400hp. I was needing to pull the 351 to do some work and wanted to install a 408 for about 2 yrs, and one morning this showed up! I'm expecting good things! I have to resize the pictures to include them and hopefully figure it out when I post next. Oh, I also have your books, old and tattered, built a few engines using your tips. Thanks.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

mbrooks wrote:Hi David. I was the one purchased the 408. I was hoping to report earlier, but still waiting on trans and a few other part delays. I have two very similar cars, one already has a similar 408 with the smaller 205 heads and different cam spec'd by someone not on this forum. I can even swap the carbs, the only difference being slightly different rear gearing, cam and heads. It's going in a JBL Roadster weighing 2400#, 5 spd, rocker front suspension and pullrod rear irs, replacing the current 351 w/400hp. I was needing to pull the 351 to do some work and wanted to install a 408 for about 2 yrs, and one morning this showed up! I'm expecting good things! I have to resize the pictures to include them and hopefully figure it out when I post next. Oh, I also have your books, old and tattered, built a few engines using your tips. Thanks.
I am looking forward to seeing this engine in the car. Could use a photo maybe for the book!
DV
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

Question, the cam in the 408 looks like a Comp Cam, 35-000-9, I am trying to use my distributor and determine compatibility with the gears. Can anyone tell me what type material the cam gear would be? I have a FMS oem style distributor that came on the 351 with hydraulic roller cam and it uses what looks to be a steel or cast iron gear that I have had no problems with, yet. Thanks.
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

Maybe it's not worth figuring it out. I think I would look around in your area and see if you can purchase a new melanized gear.
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

That's a thought. The gear on the ford distributor used with the 351 has part number 28714 on the gear, which makes it Mallory and hardened steel. Or switch to the bronze gear on the dizzy they sent. Would like to know what the -9 on the cam number means, -8 I think means SADI. Should have made a separate thread.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

mbrooks wrote:That's a thought. The gear on the ford distributor used with the 351 has part number 28714 on the gear, which makes it Mallory and hardened steel. Or switch to the bronze gear on the dizzy they sent. Would like to know what the -9 on the cam number means, -8 I think means SADI. Should have made a separate thread.
If it's the cam DV put in the engine it will be the better core...I would contact Comp directly or Terry Walters if you don't have DV's contact info.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

If memory has it. I believe The dash 9 is the price code usually designates custom grind.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

induction apprentice wrote:If memory has it. I believe The dash 9 is the price code usually designates custom grind.
dash 9 is billet steel core dash 8 is the cheaper SADI core as far as I know...
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going with the present hardened gear on the dizzy, it's proven and looks good to my eye. Was hoping to get it fired up today, but the direct replacement alternator needs a shorter belt and a few other odds and ends to wrap up. See if I can upload the progress. I had to change out the super victor for victor jr. for hood clearance, and the nice tigged aluminum covers for the FMS so I could hang the plug wires off the bottom row of fasteners, and wanted to use my dizzy as it has the bigger cap and proven on the present system, and a million other things to make this work it seems.
IMG_1459.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

You've got to show us the rest of the car, dude. That looks bad ass!
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

It is quite the scooter. Don't have any pics on this computer so here you go. Here is their website, the silver car on the front page is this one. They have lot better pics and information if you enter their website, the red coupe belongs to a guy south of me, nice car also with a 351/427. http://www.jblmotor.com
IMG_1452.JPG