408 SBF with AFR’s latest 220 cnc heads – what power?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: 408 SBF with AFR’s latest 220 cnc heads – what power?

Post by GARY C »

mbrooks wrote:Update

Have an annoying rear main seal leak so the engine is out and getting a reseal. Only changes from the dyno are Holley 750HP and a Vic Jr intake.

Me and the neighbor had it out the other day and took it for a romp. The road has a pretty new chip and seal so traction was good which helps with the old tires. Made a 3rd gear run and the acceleration was awesome. With the car only weighing 2400# and the pull rod rear suspension the weight transfer is very good. You know the 1G feeling you get and all your innards move to the back, I've had a few cars approach that for a short time, usually at the top of the power band, or when making a turn on a road course. With both of us in the car, from the time I started the acceleration to when I decided things were unsafe that 1G feeling was continuous, I didn't mash the throttle but kept feeding it fuel and it just kept going. I was really surprised. The neighbor is an older gentleman who used to race dirt track motorcycles and probably other odds and ends, he let out a hillbilly holler like he'd won a pot of gold.

That was pretty good acceleration from the bottom of the power band up, didn't hit the rev limiter at 6500 or wherever it is at.

It also has that low rpm rumpity rump, have to be delicate on the throttle in turns, especially with the old tires. Going out making a turn the car hit the rump on the upswing and the car made a nice little 90 degree pirouette, neighbor thought that was pretty cool but totally unintentional on my part.

Lot of motor if it stays together.
Sounds like a ride you need to be careful with. Does the car sit a lot? if so do you think this could be the cause of the seal issue?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Old thread but, maybe this can be useful.
You can all make your own decision here as to how much better those heads are; or should be.

I just got off the dyno 2 hours ago with a 414 Ford Windsor using Edelbrock performer RPM heads but, ported 200 cc intake port volume within the confines of the original casting; about 296/195
10.75/1 compression ratio ... 93 octane Shell premium pump gasoline
Simply port matched Victor Jr. manifold; Quick Fuel 950 carb ... no spacer
Solid flat tappet Cam is 252/256 with .595"/.600" valve lift; 106 separation

Peaks:
537 lb/ft @ 4,800 RPM
586 HP @ 6,600 RPM
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Walter R. Malik wrote:Old thread but, maybe this can be useful.
You can all make your own decision here as to how much better those heads are; or should be.

I just got off the dyno 2 hours ago with a 414 Ford Windsor using Edelbrock performer RPM heads but, ported 200 cc intake port volume within the confines of the original casting; about 296/195

Peaks:
537 lb/ft @ 4,800 RPM
586 HP @ 6,600 RPM
Thats nice for a fairly basic combo. Ya see people do way more than that to get quite a bit less!
Craig.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

Walter R. Malik wrote:Old thread but, maybe this can be useful.

Peaks:
537 lb/ft @ 4,800 RPM
586 HP @ 6,600 RPM
Walter --- that's great for a young guy like you -----

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

Don't think prolonged sitting is reason for seal leaking, or maybe it is. I pulled the engine and reinstalled a 351 FMS engine, I was needing something a little more pleasurable and long distance to drive, able to fill up at any local station. The Vizard engine is on 107 separation, departing from idle with a manual tranny in a lightweight car you don't want to stay just off idle very long.

So now I have this nice looking engine sitting there, wondering what to do with it, and the other car has a more modest 408 with a Daley dry sump..... I never learn.
CMIdiesel47448

Post by CMIdiesel47448 »

DV, was this measured with 4.03” bore?
David Vizard wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:24 pm Mr. RevTheory sir,

Ref your comment below:-

It's always in good humor with me. I have a friend in Texas that had his shop swamped out a couple of times with all the rain the last year or so. I believe the crank was the one you detailed clear back in the 1st edition (blue) SBC book that finally let go.

If we are going that far back (in terms of my memory that is over the event horizon) then I have broken a crank or two since then. But I have to say that most of the crank breakages I have experienced have been due to some other breakage leading up to the crank failure.

Anyway here are the flow figures for the AFR 220 off my bench. It was checked for calibration both before and after the test. With a 310 cfm calibration plate it was 1 cfm off. Note the graph quality. This is how all the graphs are in the book. None of those wimpy things produced by the dyno or a flow bench program. The numbers are downloaded into an Excel program that automatically generates a graphic output as you see here. To best absorb graph detail the curves need to stat at an angle of 45-60 degrees. If they are flatter than that the differences between two curves is not as easily absorbed.

These AFR numbers are good but I am sure you will see higher numbers from other peoples benches. But as good as they are there is still the issue of port velocity involved. In my upcoming SB Ford book I will be going into what is needed in the way of port velocity to get everything working just so and what you are likely to be giving away by not working within the limits given.

DV
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chilly460

Post by chilly460 »

Not 220s but did a 408 build with 205s.
950HP
Victor Jr port matched
242/250 .577/.576 110lsa installed at 106
1 3/4 to 1 7/8 step header
10.2:1
570hp @6300, 535ftlb @ 4900
DTS