Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CGT
Guru
Guru
Re: Another "How much will it make?" Project "Special Needs"

Post by CGT »

Carnut1 wrote:Is that pump smaller than a stock smallblock pump? Thanks, Charlie
I didn't measure the height of the gears, but it appeared to be stock small block chevy height.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

CGT wrote:
Carnut1 wrote:Is that pump smaller than a stock smallblock pump? Thanks, Charlie
I didn't measure the height of the gears, but it appeared to be stock small block chevy height.
I kept reading about Melling failures, and disguised Chinese copies etc, so I felt better just using a GM pump that I knew wasn't junk.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Same as SB
Tom
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

CGT wrote:
CGT wrote:
I kept reading about Melling failures, and disguised Chinese copies etc, so I felt better just using a GM pump that I knew wasn't junk.
I always thought Melling made them for GM. My German grandmother was a Melling she was one of 11 kids. Off topic again.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Carnut1 wrote:I always thought Melling made them for GM.
It doesn't resemble one. I'm sure Melling has had that contract at various different times. They definitely aren't priced like the basic Melling. Who knows
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

CGT wrote:Almost dyno ready for anyone interested.
Guess I didn't ask you the other day if you needed me to bring vacuum pump or not ?

Big Braswell with spacer/adapter ?

Low volume oil pump ?

1.8-1.7 rocker set ?

Q16/ E85 ?

Big deep dyno pan ?

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

randy331 wrote:
CGT wrote:Almost dyno ready for anyone interested.
Guess I didn't ask you the other day if you needed me to bring vacuum pump or not ?

Big Braswell with spacer/adapter ?

Low volume oil pump ?

1.8-1.7 rocker set ?

Q16/ E85 ?

Big deep dyno pan ?

Randy
No on the pan, no on the oil pump or fuels. I definitely want to test with and without vacuum, and wouldn't mind trying another carb. But cam, position, and rocker testing will probably use up most of the time Ill have.

I am planning on doing some surgery on my Demon carb to see if it can be made to be less of a pain coming into the bottom of the pull.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

So is SN just goona rust away, or go back on the dyno ???

You get it up graded to titanium valves so it can RPM ??

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20171031_175401.jpg
Resized_20171031_180827.jpg
Well. Looking like Dec. 1st and 2nd for dynoz. Just as easy to tell you on here. Hopefully you can make it. Special needs doesnt seem to be of much interest to the ST community though for some reason lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I sure as hell am interested.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

I am trying to come up with a logical order of testing the things I want tested. But I "should" be able to get alot in over 2 days, although things rarely go as smoothly as anticipated.

I'm mostly interested to score it against our "Winning" EMC engine from this year. Legal in every way minus the hyd roller and '2 Bolt Pattern Heads :x " . It'll be fun to see how it stacks up being very similar cubes etc to see how much those 2 "illegalities" may have been worth. :?

Cylinder heads:
Rocker ratio testing:
Camshaft change:
Try Y vs Try Y header testing:
Carb Test:
Vacuum Pump test:
Cam positioning:

I think that's about it unless I'm forgetting something. :( What a bizzare hobby to have #-o
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

I'd bank on your HYD roller being worth some score vs the solid flat tappet in the EMC engine.

Be nice to throw a 1 5/8 x 1 3/4 step 4 into 1 with 2.5" collector into the header tests.

Steak flowZ on this dyno session ?

Randy
user-29956

Post by user-29956 »

CGT wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 am I am trying to come up with a logical order of testing the things I want tested. But I "should" be able to get alot in over 2 days, although things rarely go as smoothly as anticipated.

I'm mostly interested to score it against our "Winning" EMC engine from this year. Legal in every way minus the hyd roller and '2 Bolt Pattern Heads :x " . It'll be fun to see how it stacks up being very similar cubes etc to see how much those 2 "illegalities" may have been worth. :?

Cylinder heads:
Rocker ratio testing:
Camshaft change:
Carb Test:
Vacuum Pump test:
Cam positioning:

I think that's about it unless I'm forgetting something. :( What a bizzare hobby to have #-o
Sounds very AMATEURESQUE yet interesting. I'd be more than happy to look over your results for you. We could share information and data and combine what we know from similar projects. Send me what you have so far by PM. I may have time to review in the next week or so. I'll try to read through your thread sometime. I'm sure I could point you in the right direction on some things.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Incoming! :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

CGT wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 am I am trying to come up with a logical order of testing the things I want tested. But I "should" be able to get alot in over 2 days, although things rarely go as smoothly as anticipated.

Cylinder heads:
Rocker ratio testing:
Camshaft change:
Carb Test:
Vacuum Pump test:
Cam positioning:

Gotta be at least 5 horse powerz in them there holes.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!