Header Design, collector shape thoughts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

predator
Header Design, collector shape thoughts

Post by predator »

Hi Guys:

Hey I am having some thoughts regarding Headers. I am going to most likely build a set headers for my 71 440 road-runner. What experience I have with Headers is quite limited. I do have a 1979 Kawasaki K-Z 650 that I built the engine into a low compression {10.5 to 1}street Bike. My Bike ran 11.22 at 124 Mph. I know that low elevens for a street Bike is not that quick. you should know that oah about 34-35 years ago, for a street Bike. My Bike was considered pretty Fast. For all I know, Today a low compression 700 C-C Street Bike will run 8's. My Bike has a Dennis Murray Merge collector header. I am sold on the Idea of running an equal length merge collector set-up.

My pointed question: When One is building a set of equal Length Merge Collector Headers. Well, after one has Determined just how much you want to make the smaller than the four head-Pipe's joined Diameter. then how does one determine just how much tapper to have in the collector, to where the collector finish's it's tapper? In other words do you want to use a gentle tapper in the collector? Or should you use a more gentle tapper to the Header-collector?
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Header Design, collector shape thoughts

Post by MadBill »

Since our more knowledgeable header guys haven't stepped up yet, I'll try to prime the pump:

Assuming the primaries are running parallel into the collector, cheapo headers seem to use a perhaps 20° or larger included angle, probably just for manufacturing convenience. (swage the collector rather than build a merge) Better quality ones seem to favor ~15°. Headers where the primaries converge at the collector often seem to do so at a greater angle, say 25-30°

Studying the catalogs of the better suppliers like Burns, SPD, etc. will give you good guidance re what works.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

You could fill this out & see what comes out of it.
http://www.burnsstainless.com/resf.pdf
Jim
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

should be lots of headers for your motor/ chassis
read this thread all the way through
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41836
predator

Post by predator »

I have contacted Burn's Stainless. I had my E-Mail replied to by a Guy named Vince. Vince gave me what he thought my Header tube length should me. The Tube diameter, tube length etc. I think that I very well might go forward with Vince's thoughts for my Header design.

As to header that would "fit" my 71 440 powered B-Body. I do not think that there are a set of equal length merge collector headers made for my car by anyone, Darn!

As to horse-power my engine should make. How much power should my 14 to 1, Indy CNC S-R headed 440 make? Do any of you have thoughts as to how much Mo-Power my 440 should make?

O-K, I have blabbed here enough.

Good By Chris