NASCAR plug wires

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

K.P.

NASCAR plug wires

Post by K.P. »

I bought some used Blue Streak Nascar spark plug wires on ebay. Nice looking wires and they ohm really good but I have 2nd thoughts about using on my Chevy with a Mallory Unilite dist. and MSD 6AL. Surely Nascar Sprint Series uses some sort of electronic ignition and wouldn't use a spark plug wire with a metal core would they? And if they did wouldn't it mess with the new EFI (PCM/ECM)
1 more question: Do Nascar Sprint engines use a locked timing distributor?
Thanks,
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: NASCAR plug wires

Post by MadBill »

The few I've seen had spiral-wound cores.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

solid cores would wreck havoc with the electronics, radios, etc
I would think the mono-mag type nickel mag core not the carbon or whatever filled black tube wires
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

K.P. wrote:I bought some used Blue Streak Nascar spark plug wires on ebay. Nice looking wires and they ohm really good but I have 2nd thoughts about using on my Chevy with a Mallory Unilite dist. and MSD 6AL. Surely Nascar Sprint Series uses some sort of electronic ignition and wouldn't use a spark plug wire with a metal core would they? And if they did wouldn't it mess with the new EFI (PCM/ECM) 1 more question: Do Nascar Sprint engines use a locked timing distributor? Thanks,
How much resistance is "ohm really good"? If they have zero resistance, which is not likely, they are a wire wire. If they have resistance, 50-100-200-3-4-5-600 or whatever Ohms per foot, they are resistance wires, which is likely.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Got a part number for "Blue Streak NASCAR plug wires"?
K.P.

Post by K.P. »

No I don't have a part number for the Nascar wires.
What I meant about ohming good is they are ohming about the same as (50-100 per foot) as the good porcelin ended wires I bought seperately a few years ago.
I like the porcelin ended wires because the heat they will take and the way they are constructed (some sort of glue or silicone on the spark plug end + 10 mm) and they ohm low like a real quality wire. Not like the cheap carbon core of some wires.
I can't remember the brand that they were but are discontinued, the only manufactured porcelin wires now that I know of is Accell 9000 series. My engine requires 4 90 degree ends and 4 45 degree ends, that means buying to sets to do my car because they won't sell them seperate.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Jacobs has/had porcelain ends...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

I thought NASCAR was running coil packs?
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I think this is what they ran several years back, I believe they are 40 ohm per foot, I have run several sets with no issues.
Moroso 72407 - Moroso Blue Max Spiral Core Sleeved Spark Plug Wires http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/72407/10002/-1
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

No all low resistance spiral wrapped wires are equal. They may ohm just fine with a meter but high voltage is a difference matter. Supposedly the better wires have a metal conductor inside not carbon impregnated fiberglass or Kevlar. High voltage can burn the inner core, the wire will seem ok with an ohm meter but may misfire ...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

. Supposedly the better wires have a metal conductor inside not carbon impregnated fiberglass or Kevlar.
X2
what I said