SPARK PLUG WIRE ROUTING

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

user-23911

Re: SPARK PLUG WIRE ROUTING

Post by user-23911 »

A square wave has an infinite number of odd harmonics making it up.
It's those harmonics which cause RFI, the high ohm leads reduce it but have very little effect on the actual spark.
No, you don't want lots of current, you want maximum energy transfer which means the biggest spark gap you can manage along with high ohm leads.

But anyway, that's got nothing to do with plug wire routing.
Distributors went out last century, as did carburettors.
Steve Haaf

Post by Steve Haaf »

A coil is a transformer that works on induction and has no capacitive abilities.
Amperage has been reduced so much with the amount of impedance in the secondary side of the ignition system that there`s nothing left to effect any surrounding electronics.
If the ignition can not effect the surrounding electronics, it sure is not going to be able to effect the plug wire that`s running beside it.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

Just for grins, hunt up some old red "Magneto wire" and wire up a SBC distributor with a stock D-500 style Delco coil, and tape the wires in nice neat 4 wire bundles on each side of the engine. Next, try to start the engine.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

My old Benelli Sei (six cylinders and three coils) and the Lambo V12 illustrate that waste spark (comparable to inductive misfire) does not necessarily inhibit engine operation. It is important to closely study the firing order and actual wiring paths.

One of my customers told me that she was responsible for examining circuit designs for cross interference from various components. Looks like an interesting career.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg