Early 70's modified or gasser camshafts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Early 70's modified or gasser camshafts

Post by CamKing »

Highstrungvega wrote:I'd rather not Mike the heads are the bottle neck right now is that why? To be more aggressive with the cam rate?
Yea, I was thinking the higher velocity would help.

For those heads, without any porting, and 1.6 rockers, this is what I would recommend.
Cam# SBCM, M77359-79332-108
255/260 @ .050"
.359"/.332" Lobe Lift
108 LSA

Lifter# J842MH
.842" Mech F.T. lifter set, w/.024" oiling hole in lifter face

You'd need a spring with 140# on the seat, and 360# at max lift.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

Ok Mike thank you that's real close to what I thought :D I'll you up for a sale real soon no lie
You learn more from doing it wrong than doing it right!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Highstrungvega wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:
edelbrock crossram later
If you really want to make life difficult and leave some horsepower on the table, run one of those. Maybe we can ask Big Joe go over why not one more time.
That bad huh? I never saw any feedback on them!! ](*,) ](*,)
Could just put a tunnel on it but at the same time a better head would do worlds for power :twisted:
Nostalgia is one thing, accepting less power for the look is OK too, but those cross ram intakes went away for a reason. They are considered difficult to tune and make less power. With the cam you're considering, you don't need a manifold which fights it also.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

I really need to clear out the garage one of these days. :)

Stan

Weiand WCV327 Inline from mid '60s
DSCF0176_C.jpg
Edelbrock TR1X - 660 center s
DSCF0181_C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

That TRX1 is so classic though with center squirters some one like myself would be all over that 8)
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

your lifter bores are most likely shot
meaning that you can't run a stock .842 lifter even a full face one at MAX
without doing your lifter bores
why tie your hand behind your back
bore the lifter bores for Ford or Mopar lifters
even if you run a MAX chevy profile
with Mopar or ford lifters you can back off the aggressiveness some and still be better than chevy
you can make it easier on the valve springs too
Those old cams were hampered by the valvsprings of the day
they would leave a lot on the table
work with mike
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

I'm surprised nobody took a stab at how much power?! I'm thinking 475!! I've looked at the heads and dug all over the Internet 487x heads do look to have a bigger intake port. Maybe I bumped my head but if I get it to peak at 6500 or so I believe I'm close. Should get me what low 11's =D>
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I have ran the TR1X and TR1YX on street cars with the 292H and 280H cams and they work even better than the Performer RPM intake from 2000-7500rpm.

Love those tall intakes.

I have ran non ported 487x heads with 1.94-1.50 valves on a 350.. 268H with performer rpm intake.(1970 chevy truck)
it was done at 5000 rpm.And could not spin the tires unless you were in sand or on wet roads.
I ported some 601 heads for that 350, left the 1.84-1.50 valves, lapped the factory valves and a bowl port and chamber clean up.
The 350 now pulled hard to 6500rpm. And could not get traction at any rpm in 1st ,, went with some old slicks and torched them to get them sticky again and busted the axle in the 12 bolt.

If it was mine I would at least blend the bowls on those 487X heads.
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

I have a Holley 300-36 (early z/28 copy) but I'm gonna get a hold of a strip dominator to try also. I'm thinking of cleaning up the throat and general touch up. I built a 400 stock heads and bottom end had a 246/246@50 and 510 lift 106 split Torker 2 intake and a 750 Holley it ran like a scalded dog. Of course I was wet behind ears punk kid :lol: never got to drive it with carb fully opening ](*,) ](*,)
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

Soooo....
I scored a set of ported #186 heads 2.05/1.6 valves screw in studs They were ported at Valley Head Service I just had them flowed and cc'd at Flow Technology's by Juan (great guy)!
Lift. Intake. Exhaust
300. 200. 162
400. 227 184
500. 239. 200
600. 245. 206
700. 248. 210
Chamber is 62 plus flat tops is right about 11-1 and I've talked with Bullet I'm ordering a custom NF Series Ulyradyne solid flat tappet I'm also a switching to a Holley Stip Dominator single plane intake.
Cam specs. GRIND CHS283/287F107+4
MASTERS NF71 NF74
DUR @ 255/259
LIFT .587/.598 gross w' 1.6 rockers
LSA 107
INT C/L 103
LASH HOT .016/.016
I really appreciate any feedback I want peak at 7k and hoping to be pushing 500hp [-o<
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Maybe I missed it, but "Old-School" to me would be a short stroke engine more along the lines of a 400 block with either a 3" or a 3.25" crank so that it would rpm like they ran them back then.

I figure one is just starting to cook at 7,000 rpm, but I may be way off here?? You know, shift her at 8,500 rpm and hold on! And glad to see at least 11 to 1 CR, because weren't they more like 12 to 12.5 to 1 for cams like these??

pdq67
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Highstrungvega wrote:Ok Mike thank you that's real close to what I thought :D I'll you up for a sale real soon no lie
So much for that?????

I had Mike grind me a cam for a customer that had a V drive with a 427 tunnel ram and 660's. The customer wanted the same sound and lopey idle like the old (name escapes me) grind. Mike delivered it in 3 weeks and after putting the engine back together ( had to get the old rollers cleaned out) The customer and I headed for the lake and he scared the crap out of me at 120. Customer was happy as heck.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

The block is the weak link. I don't think it will last at 8500! Plus I'm trying to keep cost down. I have a 4340 scat internal balance crank (3.75 stroke)and I'm getting matching rods and balance it up. I would run more compression but then it's either e-85 or race gas either is not very practical for any street driving($$). #-o
Highstrungvega

Post by Highstrungvega »

af2 wrote:
Highstrungvega wrote:Ok Mike thank you that's real close to what I thought :D I'll you up for a sale real soon no lie
So much for that?????

I had Mike grind me a cam for a customer that had a V drive with a 427 tunnel ram and 660's. The customer wanted the same sound and lopey idle like the old (name escapes me) grind. Mike delivered it in 3 weeks and after putting the engine back together ( had to get the old rollers cleaned out) The customer and I headed for the lake and he scared the crap out of me at 120. Customer was happy as heck.
It had nothing to with or about Mike or his cams. After I pulled my head out of my Azz I realized I needed better heads. From my youth I worked on a dirt late model(Jim Cushing Mansfield OH), rodeck block Brodix heads and a real healthy Ulyradyne solid roller I realized I wanted one for my car is all.
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

If you want a nostalgia cam, Racer Brown's ubiquitous 66R would be my recommendation.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken