shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Re: AFR heads + Stans headers = spark plug access

Post by shoedoos »

Bram Stroker

Post by Bram Stroker »

Yes thank you. As mentioned, I have seen multiple options for shorty socket setups and the like. But, again, to ME, that is like the tail wagging the dog. And while using a socket or wrench modified to get at the plug it is still A) a huge hassle and takes too long, and B) the plug boots are also a crappy fit and rest against the exhaust due to crappy angles.

I've decided that the best solution is custom headers. Lemons seems to be a good solution and an excellent product. That is likely what I will do. Thanks for all the suggestions and references.

I will just sell off the brand new 2" coated headers and take a little bit of a loss. I got approx. 1200 into them but if I can get 850 I'll be happy. That'll help pay for the lemons ones.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MSD sells "shorty" spark plugs to clear headers
Bram Stroker

Post by Bram Stroker »

pamotorman wrote:MSD sells "shorty" spark plugs to clear headers
Yes, but again it means using only those or accel because of a poor fit. So after looking at the alternatives I decided to do it right and make the headers fit the engine/heads properly.

That's the actual situation - the headers are not built for a raised exhaust port and that is what is causing the problem. Any other solution is a band aid IMO.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

hotrides4u2 wrote:actually Harbor Freight has a whole set of standard and metric sockets just like that for 20 bucks...they are well worth the small investment
After you posted this I looked for them at my local HF and never saw them till the other day and there they were. You are correct, excellent tools to just have around. Complete kit, metric and american, was less than the ONE Snap-On socket I posted. Here's a link to the part number in case anyone else is interested.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-pc-sae- ... 62327.html
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl