Throttle's Performance 383 build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

900HP
Guru
Guru

Re: Throttle's Performance 383 build

Post by 900HP »

jeff swisher wrote:Was the placement of the injector set low on the intake for a reason?
I would think you could get the fuel atomized better if it was raised up the runner a bit.
typically as you move the injector up you make better upper-end power but it comes at the expense of cold-start and drivability. Ideally we would have 2 rows of injectors one up high and one down low but this was a budget build and it wasn't in the cards. Plus it's only for a truck so it would have been even more dumb than the tunnel ram :P
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

novadude wrote:Question: I noticed the valvespring pics and it got me wondering about what kind of seat and open load you are using for the hyd roller in relatively low rpm application like this.
to be honest I don't remember the exact numbers, I was more interested in bind height. I believe it's around 160# on the seat and 380# open though.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

Nice job Mark...no AR ?

Also, make sure your lengths are within a couple inches before the single pipe, can get tricky. :)
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
Blog: www.exhausting101.com
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

exhausted wrote:Nice job Mark...no AR ?

Also, make sure your lengths are within a couple inches before the single pipe, can get tricky. :)
I wouldn't say no AR, maybe just a little one, the collector extends to the inside of the muffler 3" collector, 3.5" muffler......... headers were el-cheapo $189 Schoenfeld 1 5/8" with 3" collectors. Had to weld the roof and port-match to the head so it's a less than ideal situation. Improvements can be made in this area for sure.
383 truck 39.jpg
383 truck 44.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
redliner
Expert
Expert

Post by redliner »

900HP wrote:

I wouldn't say no AR, maybe just a little one, the collector extends to the inside of the muffler 3" collector, 3.5" muffler......... headers were el-cheapo $189 Schoenfeld 1 5/8" with 3" collectors. Had to weld the roof and port-match to the head so it's a less than ideal situation. Improvements can be made in this area for sure.
383 truck 39.jpg
383 truck 44.jpg
I d read an evac with mufflers doest work but I see you have this,care to elaborate?
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

redliner wrote:
900HP wrote:

383 truck 39.jpg
383 truck 44.jpg
I d read an evac with mufflers doest work but I see you have this,care to elaborate?
Evac works fine as long as you don't have positive pressure in the exhaust system. As long as the exhaust system doesn't represent a restriction in flow the evac works fine. I was so busy I completely forgot to datalog crank case vacuum on this on though :(
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

The muffler and tailpipe are 3"? 4? Wonder if you'll pick up any more bottom end with that single pipe.
Won't be able to quantify though, oh well. It'll sound great though.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

I have recently done several systems using the Hooker Aero-Chamber muffler. I have been impressed.
What is the configuration of the muffler?

One 3" pipe is enough for you power, don't know about the muffler though...
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

exhausted wrote:I have recently done several systems using the Hooker Aero-Chamber muffler. I have been impressed.
What is the configuration of the muffler?

One 3" pipe is enough for you power, don't know about the muffler though...
One muffler is actually similar in design to the aerochamber to be honest. The second muffler is a straight through glass-pack type just to help with resonance. The reason I went with 4" is because they had it pre-bent for the truck already for the diesel version. :wink:

The headers for the dyno had 3" collectors into a 3.5" muffler/tailpipe assembly which opened into 6" dyno exhaust system.

For the truck I don't really know what I'm going to do yet............ :?
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

I believe that the Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram has a smaller plenum (maybe even a shorter lower section). Would that have helped in generating torque throughout the rpm range?

John
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

one finger john wrote:I believe that the Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram has a smaller plenum (maybe even a shorter lower section). Would that have helped in generating torque throughout the rpm range?

John
The longer the intake runner the more potential you have for bottom end torque. I personally don't think plenum volume affects an efi engine as much as a carbureted engine.

From what I've seen the street tunnel ram has smaller ports with a fair amount of taper and it also has a fairly conservative plenum. That being said, you can still see all 8 intake valves through the throttle body pads 8)
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

I don't know anything about tunnel rams but is there an advantage to this TR1 yx over what edelbrock sells today for its street tunnel ram.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Little Mouse wrote:I don't know anything about tunnel rams but is there an advantage to this TR1 yx over what edelbrock sells today for its street tunnel ram.
Yes. I bought it for $200
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

900HP wrote:
Little Mouse wrote:I don't know anything about tunnel rams but is there an advantage to this TR1 yx over what edelbrock sells today for its street tunnel ram.
Yes. I bought it for $200
I think maybe a lot of people have misinterpreted this build because of how it looks............

I'm not independently wealthy and I can't afford to build a Briggs and Stratton let alone a real engine. EVERY part that went into this was based off of what I got the "best deal" on, what was sponsored, or what I'm a dealer for, not necessarily what would work the best. It's a budget build pickup truck engine, nothing more, it just looks fancy. Even the coils are junkyard take-offs I got from a buddy for $50 including the wiring harness :)

The heads are probably the over-the-top parts on the engine and to get the geometry right I bought the shaft rockers which was an unexpected expense however the LGM stuff seems to be really good quality and at the same time doesn't break the bank too hard.

I'm not going to talk dollar amounts but suffice it to say that you would be shocked at how little I was able to build this for :wink:
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

Congrats for taking the old tried and true path of run whatcha brung. Like so many here have done and still do is what you did.
Take a mix of the parts you have or you can get on the cheap and twist them together and make a nice combo from it.

I love it!