Throttle's Performance 383 build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Throttle's Performance 383 build

Post by GARY C »

Thanks for the post, I hope you report back on fuel economy, the injected TR has spiked my curiosity.

BTW, that there is one pertty truck engine =P~
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

jeff swisher wrote: Was the placement of the injector set low on the intake for a reason?

Yes, for better control of mixture during transitions, warmups, etc. moving the injector up *sometimes* picks up peak torque by a percent or two, but *always* seems to reduce tunabliity. Since this is a street engine, the 2-3hp he might have gained wasn't worth losing the really good operating manners. So far on the dyno it ran really well, "Like a minivan"
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
Cutlassefi

Post by Cutlassefi »

dieselgeek wrote:
jeff swisher wrote: Was the placement of the injector set low on the intake for a reason?

Yes, for better control of mixture during transitions, warmups, etc. moving the injector up *sometimes* picks up peak torque by a percent or two,"
Not so sure that's true.
R.E.T. did an in depth story on EFI in Nascar a couple years ago. All the teams contacted didn't like the fact that Nascar mandated the injector location, which was midway down the runner. They showed a photo of the mixture coming out of the injector and actually going backwards up towards the plenum. In their opinion they would make more power if they could move it down to the intake port entry.
Engine Builder, Accel, AEM, Comp, Erson, Holley, and Lunati Dealer
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

Cutlassefi wrote:
dieselgeek wrote:

Yes, for better control of mixture during transitions, warmups, etc. moving the injector up *sometimes* picks up peak torque by a percent or two,"
Not so sure that's true.
R.E.T. did an in depth story on EFI in Nascar a couple years ago. All the teams contacted didn't like the fact that Nascar mandated the injector location, which was midway down the runner. They showed a photo of the mixture coming out of the injector and actually going backwards up towards the plenum. In their opinion they would make more power if they could move it down to the intake port entry.

I'm pretty sure it's true that, as I said "sometimes" moving the injector up picks up peak power. It was worth a lot on the Early Hemi at engine masters, something we spent a great deal of actual testing time on, on an engine dyno...

The "guaranteed" power gain is from spending time on each individual combo on the dyno and on the track, to figure out what the engine wants. There is no rule of thumb. NASCAR are also limited to injector size. They'd find out some interesting stuff if they were allowed to oversize and play with phasing.

Also, every engine I've observed had fuel reversion. I think it's only in a dream world or on the Internet where every drop of fuel from each injector ends up in it's nearest cylinder and nowhere else. Meanwhile I've seen sequential port injected engines with low mounted injectors, that will run happily on 7 injectors. Even the lowest mounted injector placement results in a plenum full of fuel fog, just like a carburetor. Especially ones that are sized "the way the internet says to do it"
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Cutlassefi wrote:
dieselgeek wrote:

Not so sure that's true.
Not sure where they got the information for the article...............but it is false. The only team that wanted lower injector placement was toyota, and it was purely out of tuning ease..........NOT power production. We did extensive testing on injector placement prior to the NASCAR mandated position, and the higher up the runner definatly made more power.......
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

Just an update......... the truck is back from the body shop having some touch-up work done and a new hood installed. The accessory drive has been fit and installed. I've had Stahl pattern adapter plates made and installed and fit them and I've pulled the original engine so after some clean-up work it's time to start installing the new engine and then on to making headers.
383 truck 61.jpg
383 truck 64.jpg
383 truck 52.jpg
383 truck 65.jpg
383 truck 49.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Throttle ... 1996281602
mdabbott2009
Pro
Pro

Post by mdabbott2009 »

Whered you find a 4in tail pipe? I've been looking and can only find a 3in.
I'm in the process of doing same thi g kind of just with a ls motor.
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

mdabbott2009 wrote:Whered you find a 4in tail pipe? I've been looking and can only find a 3in.
Diesel exhaust. I bought mine from Hearthrob but there are others as well.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

900HP wrote:
mdabbott2009 wrote:Whered you find a 4in tail pipe? I've been looking and can only find a 3in.
Diesel exhaust. I bought mine from Hearthrob but there are others as well.
Could have got 5 inch too if you wanted. Not really needed, but if you wanted the affect. :D
Jim
mdabbott2009
Pro
Pro

Post by mdabbott2009 »

Thanks i'll call them when its time for exhaust
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Jim
900HP
Guru
Guru

Post by 900HP »

At least it's in the truck now............. lots of work left.......
383 truck 67.jpg
383 truck 66.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Throttle's Performance
(701)893-5010
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

I'll be damned. It actually fits under the hood. I can't friggin' wait to hear it on the chassis dyno.
70imp355

Post by 70imp355 »

looks amazing and like a lot of fun subscribed
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

Could anyone share some info or direction on that trick ass timing cover chopper wheel and pickup ? Cheers James
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A