Start Retard!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

amc fan
Expert
Expert

Start Retard!

Post by amc fan »

Mallory Unilite... advance locked.... 38 degrees total timing 12.5-1 cr 265 degree at .050 solid roller.... Jacobs Pro Ten ignition controller no built in retard does any one make a stand alone ignition retard or do I have to crank over with shut off switch to ignition and turn it on when i am cranking it?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: Start Retard!

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

amc fan wrote:Mallory Unilite... advance locked.... 38 degrees total timing 12.5-1 cr 265 degree at .050 solid roller.... Jacobs Pro Ten ignition controller no built in retard does any one make a stand alone ignition retard or do I have to crank over with shut off switch to ignition and turn it on when i am cranking it?
Mallory has a stand alone add on start retard---switchable retard .
So does Accel. Its a 4 step multi retard. Accel #49355

Works with most any CD ignition Box.

MSD has timing retard boxes for nitrous etc that also serve as a start retard. And also "starter Saver" add on start retard boxes.

EVEN with these, you will find the simple ignition interupt toggle switch convenient and usefull
for hot starting and more. (Like bumping the motor over no spark for setting valve lash)

if the Jacobs box has a (usually small red) power switching wire (goes to the key switch) this is where you wire in the toggle switch.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Be aware that when you add a start retard or other electronic timing retard box that it has and effect on
the cap/rotor phasing alignment. How and how much it effects that depends on its design. And depending on how you connected the trigger wires. (polarity)
You should recheck cap/rotor phasing alignment and may need to move the mounting position of the magnetic pickup-optical sensor-shutter wheel
in the distributor to compensate. Or reverse the trigger wire polarity....or....

it may also change the amount of electronic switching latency, which effects how much the timing tends to self retard as rpm increases. Some boxes have built in compensation and the start retard added in may or may not change all that.
(may require a different ignition timing setting)

Something to know and check.
FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick »

If you are interested I actually have one for sale. It's an MSD Timing Computer with start retard. $75. My new box has the start retard incorporated in it. I wouldn't go without one. Makes it so much easier to start.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Thanks for your help Fastbuick sent you a PM
FastBuick
Expert
Expert

Post by FastBuick »

No problem at all amc fan. Glad I could help. I just read your PM and responded. Thank you.
PAC Racing Springs Authorized Dealer
Independent T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer
Wix Filters Dealer