what's a good 'clean as you drive' carb cleaner?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

four creeks
what's a good 'clean as you drive' carb cleaner?

Post by four creeks »

what's a good carb and fuel system cleaner, anybody know of something that works?
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru
Re: what's a good 'clean as you drive' carb cleaner?

Post by kirkwoodken »

I'm just using this as an example: I've had clogged jet holes that could not be cleaned/cleared with 175 pounds of air pressure. If you are trying to clean a daily driver that has always had good air and fuel filters, it probably will never be that dirty. The old Rochester designs had enrichment jets at the extreme bottom of the carb well. If a car were driven by someone who never ran full throttle, dirt/sediment could clog those small holes. I can't think of any other carbs that were made that way. I like to take carbs apart and look through every possible opening. Assumption is the mother of screwing up.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Has the car, or the Carb been sitting? If so today's cut with ethanol fuel degrades into crap that a pour in tank Carb cleaner will not touch!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I've been using TK7 for 10 plus years, it's probably more of a maintainer but over time it will clean fuel system, carbon from the valves plus lube as and stabilize as advertised...Not the cheapest but good stuff never is.
Here are some test videos. http://newsouthdiesel.com/product/tk7-s ... s-engines/
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
four creeks

Post by four creeks »

mag2555 wrote:Has the car, or the Carb been sitting? If so today's cut with ethanol fuel degrades into crap that a pour in tank Carb cleaner will not touch!
Right. I understand that. Working on my snowmobile today. I disassembled the carbs and cleaned the jets, but I have to deal with green junk in just about every carb. Spring, summer, fall, winter, always something not running right. pickup, van, 4 weedwackers, woodsplitter, chainsaw, 3 JD 318's, 30 antique tractors, 6 or 7 snowmobiles, JD gator. All of that is seasonal use stuff, sits for months at a time. I undersand if something is clogged or it's real bad, it has to be dealt with. Just don't want to make cleaning gunk out of carburetors my life's work. And when I clean one up, next time I open it up it's ugly again.

I disassemble carbs completely and soak in lacquer thinner, and use soft plastic bristles. Idle circuits give the most trouble. I will try sea foam in the sled and see if it makes a difference.

Just wondered if somebody came across something that helps.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I used "Sea Foam." Having said that, I have never used it on a carb that was not working properly---put in and "bang" carb is now working perfect.might have to disassemble..and dip..
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

four creeks wrote:
mag2555 wrote:Has the car, or the Carb been sitting? If so today's cut with ethanol fuel degrades into crap that a pour in tank Carb cleaner will not touch!
Right. I understand that. Working on my snowmobile today. I disassembled the carbs and cleaned the jets, but I have to deal with green junk in just about every carb. Spring, summer, fall, winter, always something not running right. pickup, van, 4 weedwackers, woodsplitter, chainsaw, 3 JD 318's, 30 antique tractors, 6 or 7 snowmobiles, JD gator. All of that is seasonal use stuff, sits for months at a time. I undersand if something is clogged or it's real bad, it has to be dealt with. Just don't want to make cleaning gunk out of carburetors my life's work. And when I clean one up, next time I open it up it's ugly again.

I disassemble carbs completely and soak in lacquer thinner, and use soft plastic bristles. Idle circuits give the most trouble. I will try sea foam in the sled and see if it makes a difference.

Just wondered if somebody came across something that helps.
The TK7 is also a fuel stabilizer good for 5 years, I have treated 55 gallon barrels of fuel that after 2 years still performed fine. I don't empty any fuel from riding mower are weed eater over the winter, mower sits out all year uncovered with no problems.
If you watch the top video in the link I posted, the first additive they show is sold in most automotive stores, it will work in gas engines and cleans great but is the stinkiest stuff you will ever use so don't get it on you.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

BG44K. Used to call it tuneup in a can. Nothing better on the market at any cost.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

Seafoam has worked well for me.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

MEK ...
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mattax

Post by Mattax »

Walter R. Malik wrote:MEK ...
Just be careful with that stuff. Handle like gasoline - partially full and empty cans will be loaded MEK vapor.

On the problem of fuel sitting in engines, if people have had success with those additives, I can't argue that they have worked. Personally, the seasonal variations on pump gas RVP, eth content and vaporization curve seemed to be components that an additive couldn't alter. So this winter I switched to VP's "small engine" fuel and Sun's GTX for stuff that sits for weeks or months at a time. For the first time in a long time, the sno-throw fired up with just a few pulls. In past winters the carb needed cleaner sprayed down each of restriction points (the inlet valve and two fuel control needle valves) no more than a day before it was to be used. Also check the rubber fuel lines - the insides of the older ones can get mushy with todays pump gas sitting in them. :(
qtrmiler

Post by qtrmiler »

careful with seafoam as my local exhaust shop says he has found users have high catalytic converter failures. Just don't want readers using in their cat equipped vehicles.
bmcdaniel
Pro
Pro

Post by bmcdaniel »

A few years ago I used Seafoam to loosen a stuck IAC valve in my GF's Nissan 300ZX. Just poured some in the air tube that runs between the air cleaner and the valve and let it soak. Didn't tell her I did that. When she drove off there was a white billowing cloud following her that obliterated the whole street. Did that for about 15 minutes. She didn't think it was funny. :-)
qtrmiler

Post by qtrmiler »

you enjoyed it profusely though didn't you.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Thankfully non of theses issues exist with TK7.
Please Note!