Anyone ever flow bench verified the benefit of notched bore?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CantedTexan
Re: Anyone ever flow bench verified the benefit of notched b

Post by CantedTexan »

I wish I had time to give you hard data based upon 351C heads. I plan to flow: a no-notch block, a factory notched block, and what I do which is notch within reason of what the head gasket allows.

A factory notched 4V block bored .030 renders a tremendous amount of factory notch remaining.......on intake and exhaust. As the bore increases from .030 over, the notching begins to go away noticeably in increments as fine as .010.

I have been building Clevelands and Boss 302's since 1972.

I have never seen factory notches disappear with a .........030 overbore!

My.....OPINION.....Notch the crap out of it.....until cylinder sealing, gasket restraints, and compression compromises are reached.

Quote: "One of my impressive attributes is that.....a lot of people don't like me.....or the horse I rode in on"
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

Is it better to machine cut a notch like the high performance BBC or just do a 45 degree eyebrow by hand with a file or burr bit? Anyone seen Vizard's new Bigblock book that supposedly has a lot of this info in it?
Pro question poster.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

He discusses it in detail but as far as the actual process, just says to scribe the block to the gasket fire ring contour and grind from there down to 1/16" above the upper limit of ring travel.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

gasket bore is too big
combustion chamber
for the MOPAR I have stainless shim gaskets for the 361 and 413 (4 3/16 bore) trucks
they scribe about right for an open chamber or 915 closed chamber 440 head
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

For anyone who has flow-tested the standard vs. notched bore, I'd be interested to know if the flow improvement was seen across the entire lift curve, or only in a certain range.

I had the same two heads flowed on a friend's bench using the same bore adapter size as mine -- only as I recall his had a notch for intake valve clearance added -- and his #s for both heads were higher in the .200-.300" range (maybe a tad higher?), but basically the same at lower and higher (.500"+) lifts. I always wondered if that was due to different benches & calibration, or because of his adapter...
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

BradH wrote:For anyone who has flow-tested the standard vs. notched bore, I'd be interested to know if the flow improvement was seen across the entire lift curve, or only in a certain range.

I had the same two heads flowed on a friend's bench using the same bore adapter size as mine -- only as I recall his had a notch for intake valve clearance added -- and his #s for both heads were higher in the .200-.300" range (maybe a tad higher?), but basically the same at lower and higher (.500"+) lifts. I always wondered if that was due to different benches & calibration, or because of his adapter...
There will ALWAYS be a difference between even identical bench,s take your friends adapter and try it on your bench
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

For the fun of it flow a head with a 4.44 chamber size on a 4.625 flow adapter and then on a 4.5. It is interesting where the numbers pick up on the big adapter and fall back. Did those tests a long time ago. Never put a head that hangs more than about .060 over in the bore on the intake side. If the head is bigger than the bore, notch it. I had a SS NHRA engine pick up both MPH and ET by that change and one other small change(oil pump)
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail