Anyone used Ford Racing Z304D heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BAracer
Pro
Pro

Anyone used Ford Racing Z304D heads?

Post by BAracer »

I'm looking for some feedback on a set of shaft rockers to fit the Ford Racing Z304D heads. Jesel is closed until Wednesday due to the impending storm. Anyone else make a shaft set-up that fits those particular heads?

Really in a panic, need a set of good rockers to go on a customer's aluminum block 427 Windsor. He's set to receive the engine Friday, and Tuesday he has to be at the King of the Hammers race to qualify!

Can anyone help? I'm told that the Z304D heads require .300" offset intake rockers, and Jesel's catalog lists them as 2.080" stud spacing...
thomas butt
Pro
Pro
Re: Anyone used Ford Racing Z304D heads?

Post by thomas butt »

T&D makes them for n351/z304 heads. Seem like they were .150 offset
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

BAracer wrote:I'm looking for some feedback on a set of shaft rockers to fit the Ford Racing Z304D heads. Jesel is closed until Wednesday due to the impending storm. Anyone else make a shaft set-up that fits those particular heads?

Really in a panic, need a set of good rockers to go on a customer's aluminum block 427 Windsor. He's set to receive the engine Friday, and Tuesday he has to be at the King of the Hammers race to qualify!

Can anyone help? I'm told that the Z304D heads require .300" offset intake rockers, and Jesel's catalog lists them as 2.080" stud spacing...
The Ford Racing (FRPP) Z304 cylinder heads have the OEM 20-degree valve angles but they are in a non-OEM placement. At least when it comes to stud rockers, Ford Racing recommends a stud rocker arm set which uses standard exhaust rocker arms but also has special intake rocker arms with a 0.150" offset pushrod cup (not 0.300"), like this:

In the above pictured Z304 stud rocker arm set, the gold rocker arms are standard rockers used on the exhaust valves, and you'll notice that the ice green rockers with the offset pushrod cup are for the intake valves. A standard stud rocker arm on the Z304 intakes will compound valve train geometry. These Z304 specific stud rockers with the 0.150" offset pushrod cup don't do that.

Obviously a shaft system will not have such obviously discernible features, I just wanted to clarify the details of the Z304 heads specifically.

One last important note: The very, very first run of the Z304 heads are unusual in that they did not have the relocated intake rocker stud (along with the relocated valves) and therefore did not use the offset rockers (the early heads called for a standard rocker arm set and the intake rocker was resultingly picgeon-toed and created compounded valve train geometry). These early heads are easily identifiable because the intake rocker stud is not inline with the valve. It's unlikely that you have a set like this but you must determine which you have before you order a shaft system.

Frankly, with the newer, more common (revised) Z304 heads, the 0.150" offset stud rocker arms with correct design geometry are a very reliable and cost effective way to go. The Z304 stud rocker arm set pictured above are Miller rockers, are made of 7075 (like Jessel shaft rockers), use the same bearings as Jesels, have better design geometry than the Ford Racing rockers and are even currently priced less than Ford Racing rockers. We are in CA and have them in stock if you decide to go with stud rockers, and/or we can help you determine which version of the Z304 heads you have before you order rocker arms of any kind.
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

yes they are correct ..i have build two of these engine recently and i have used t/d with a .150 offset..they have them sitting on the shelf for delivery
BAracer
Pro
Pro

Post by BAracer »

I'm told the version Z304D heads come with 2.080" stud spacing, and the standard Z304 have 1.940" stud spacing...

We can't fit stud mounted rockers, as the poly-locks require valvecovers that are too tall to fit in the chassis. Has to be shaft rockers.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

I have a set on the bench now. I used Harland sharp rockers for the build
results speak for themselves
BAracer
Pro
Pro

Post by BAracer »

What is the spacing between rocker stud centerlines? Are your heads Z304 or Z304D's?
BAracer
Pro
Pro

Post by BAracer »

As an FYI, the Jesel Sportsman shaft rockers with 1.940" stud spacing work great on this M-6007-Z427-ART engine my customer bought!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

What a lot of people don't realize is that these heads were released originally with guideplates which used ALL standard, non offset, rockers however, they were all slanted, just like the older Canfield heads.
Ford Racing changed them for the better and now they have the pushrod holes slightly farther apart and use the present rocker arm set-up with the guideplayes for the offset intake rocker arms; (among a few other changes)
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
ClassicComp
Expert
Expert

Post by ClassicComp »

1.900 valve spacing. 2.080 stud spaceing
results speak for themselves