Spark plug V power

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lada ok
Guru
Guru

Spark plug V power

Post by lada ok »

Long time ago I read a small paragraph in a engine performance enhancement book, ' tuning BMC A series engines' or similar
The test was on a 1400 cc ( I4 ) with a super charger. A back to back test of a champion plugs with different heat ranges and electrode styles netted an improvement of some 28 hp best to worst
Someone may be able to find that exact test ?

Anyone have any data or experience with this ?
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Spark plug V power

Post by pdq67 »

Flat don't know but will say this..

B&S lawnmower engine plugs usually have the ground strap ground off so that it only comes to the "top"/side of the center electrode.

I think that this is for max spark kernel creation..

pdq67
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

lada ok wrote:Long time ago I read a small paragraph in a engine performance enhancement book, ' tuning BMC A series engines' or similar
The test was on a 1400 cc ( I4 ) with a super charger. A back to back test of a champion plugs with different heat ranges and electrode styles netted an improvement of some 28 hp best to worst
Someone may be able to find that exact test ?

Anyone have any data or experience with this ?
In his "How to Port and Flow test Cylinder Heads" David Vizard chronicles the testing of a 1,422 cc supercharged Mini. (probably first mentioned in his ultra-comprehensive BMC 'A' book) In the initial tests, it sounded like Hell on wheels but produced a hugely disappointing 85 HP. After hours of fruitless checks and changes, it got flooded and wet the plugs, so the Champion race plugs were swapped for a handy set of Autolites. Bingo: 142 HP! They cleaned and re-installed the Champions; went right back to 85 HP, still sounding just great. He said he's successfully used Champions on many dozens of Minis and other engines with never an issue and to this day has no explanation for what happened.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Ah yes, there is an electrical reason for doing this.
Also, I know some fella's set their plugs so that the earth strap is set toward a chamber wall, ... it supposedly exposes the spark and keeps the earth cooler .

Our only bad experience with plugs was when we trashed $ 64,000 worth of engines before we realised that the long reach plugs were knocking holes in the piston tops. once we sorted that, we picked quite a bit of hp, ..... and making sure we used the right oil dip stick, saved heaps $'s on bearing failure