Best Induction

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re: Best Induction

Post by jmarkaudio »

I would NOT use the Ultra 950 period. If you make the 4150 decision get an annular 1050 QF 4150 style carb. My vote is for the Super Victor and the Dominator, get either an 8082 Dominator or 4700 QFX 2 circuit carb. Or better yet look to get a custom 2 circuit Dominator or QFX based carb, it will be well worth any extra it may be. I have a 23˚ 427 SBC as my spare, a good Dominator style carb will make the best power.

Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

I think that its a better risk to go conservative like the 4150 carb and the strip dominator. Even if the carb is the 1050 4150stye carb. That combo and that big duration cam will run awesome. The lobe sep at 108 isnt any problem for a 434. You may pick up a tenth with the dominator over the other set up. Problem is you may not. The heads are good for a 383-406. Th 434 will want 240cc runners in a 23 degree head esecially with that compression and converter. Eithier way you can always make changes later!!
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

jmarkaudio wrote:I would NOT use the Ultra 950 period. If you make the 4150 decision get an annular 1050 QF 4150 style carb. My vote is for the Super Victor and the Dominator, get either an 8082 Dominator or 4700 QFX 2 circuit carb. Or better yet look to get a custom 2 circuit Dominator or QFX based carb, it will be well worth any extra it may be. I have a 23˚ 427 SBC as my spare, a good Dominator style carb will make the best power.

X2
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

408 Nova wrote:Me and my dad are building a 12:91 compression 434 SBC on a shoestring budget. Bought some out of the box Brodix Dragonslayer heads from Weingartner Racing. Cam is a Bullet 261/269 duration at .050" intake/exhaust solid roller, on a 106.5 LCA installed dot to dot. Cam is ground 4 degrees advanced. We hope it makes power to 7000 RPM.

Induction choices are gonna be a Holley 300-25 Strip Dominator and an aluminum Holley 950 Ultra HP, or an Edelbrock 2970 Super Victor 4500 flange and a Holley 1050 HP 3 circuit Dominator. The price difference is about $80-$90 between the two combos. I'm leaning towards the Strip Dominator/950 combo, daddy is leaning towards the Super Victor/1050 combo.

Which combination will make more power and be faster down the dragstrip?

You car combo will use well the SV/1050 carb.

With that relatively small cam and high CR your engine can overcome any possible mid range tq loss and "soft launch" that may be caused by the slight bigger carb.

JMHO.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
greywolf
Expert
Expert

Post by greywolf »

Pretty sure the Dominator set up will make more power, and may give you a quicker ET in the quarter mile.
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Thanks everyone for your input!
wrenchbender

Post by wrenchbender »

With an 8" converter, Dominator all the way. Also, if you could do some plenum work on the 2970, it would help a ton. Just lay a 4-hole gasket on top & look down, you'll see what I mean. JMO.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

408 Nova wrote:Does the dyno testing last year in Car Craft magazine on all those single plane intakes hold any water? If it does, it looks like the Strip Dominator did pretty well. It pretty much killed my favorite intake, the Team G, and the Victor Jr. The Super Victor was at the bottom of the pile. We have ran those intakes for many years, and it's disappointing to see it do so bad.
BigBro74 wrote:and is it just me, or do the Holley/Wieand intakes come much closer to size at the port face?
this was the point I guess I was trying to make. I never did read if the intakes in that article were gasket matched or off the shelf........I was trying to remember, I used a 2925 intake awhile back on a 406, and it seemed to have big runners but as I remember was pretty small at the flange as cast.... I have a 300-25 here now (for a 355) and the runners are tall and narrow, I would "guess" slightly smaller CSA by memory #-o than the s-v, but the Holley port openings seem much bigger at the flange than the ones on the edelbrock came as cast.....

maybe my memory isn't as good as it used to be and somebody who does this more often can chime in.

I noticed for the super vic 2 ( which did very well in the article, but I have never seen one) that edelbrock says in the description that port openings "match a 1206" gasket.....

I have had good results with both intakes (2925 and 300-25) in the past :? but my vote would actually be for the super vic also on a big cid engine due to large runners. I guess what I wrote before got off of topic for the OP (sorry) - Jason
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Ok fellas, the 8082 Holley 2 circuit Dominator and anything from QuickFuel is good? But the Ultra HP line from Holley is bad? The only reason we were thinking about the Ultra's is because we see them being used quite a bit in magazines and books.

We are not far from ordering SOMETHING, and, like anyone else, want to make an informed decision.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

408 Nova wrote:Ok fellas, the 8082 Holley 2 circuit Dominator and anything from QuickFuel is good? But the Ultra HP line from Holley is bad? The only reason we were thinking about the Ultra's is because we see them being used quite a bit in magazines and books.

We are not far from ordering SOMETHING, and, like anyone else, want to make an informed decision.
I have a pair of 4150 Ultra HP 750's in my 421'' SBC and I like the quality and specially the light weight construction.

They need extensive tuning on the T-ram setup. I'm not sure about the Dominator you're wanting, but I'm satisfied with its quality and added features. The Quick fuel carbs are excellent quality too.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

A 2970 and one of the new gen 3 ultra dominators would be the ticket. I can help with pricing if needed. If you went 4150 then the quick fuel 1050 is a good choice just get it with the slotted holes and run it on the 2970.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

Edelbrock 2970 it is then.

What kind of deals do you have, Eric, on both the intake and carb? I need pricing on both a 4150 and a 4500, of whatever is best for our application, if you don't mind. I can call later if that would be more appropriate.

I've heard the 8082 Dominator is good, the Generation 3 Dominator too, and anything Quick Fuel is good. I'm assuming everyone is referring to the fuel curve when they say "good", which is what I am after, regardless of brand. Just going by the pictures of all the carbs in the catalogs, build quality is great on all of the carbs that I have seen.

On your 407 CI Engine Masters build, you used a 4150 Holley HP Ultra. Is it any good?
WeingartnerRacing
Expert
Expert

Post by WeingartnerRacing »

I used a Holley ultra hp 750cfm carb for that emc. It worked flawless right out of the box. Air fuel ratios almost dead nuts on out of the box. The rules wouldn't let us run more than a 750. I have not used the 950 versions but have sold many to customers and they have done great. I have used the quick fuel carbs and they worked great but out of the box they did not idle and took more work to make them great. After tunning they work damn good.
Eric Weingartner
Weingartner Racing LLC
918-520-3480
www.wengines.com
jason snyder
Expert
Expert

Post by jason snyder »

the new ultra 2 circuit 1050 dominator is perfect .... very tunable , but will be close enough out of the box to get you going . the 3 circuit carbs are not for everybody ! they are fat as hell out of the box ....you will be chasing your tail as your garage fills with eye piercing fumes ! then you will start pulling jets sizes and screwing in your air/fuels ,,,,basically pulling fuel where you should not .. the 8082 is very easy to get close out of the box .