dominators and annular boosters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfl28

dominators and annular boosters

Post by rfl28 »

need some thoughts on dominator carbs w/ annular boosters vs ones w/o...getting ready to put one w/o on my drag car (10.20 3200 '65chev 2)...small block powered (386ci),..had one w/ boosters on it before...would like to hear pros and cons of both....talked to john satterfield and he stated i would upset booster performance w/my present front opening hood scoop configuration....can you guys elaborate?thanks,..bob
stand on it!
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

I wouild think that your combo would be the perfect cantidate for annular type boosters. A fairly heavy car with a smaller motor. You might have some trouble getting the tuning correct with an "out of the box" type dominator though.Most of them are geared toward a larger motor or a very high rpm small block.The annular booster will help it "come on" the booster sooner, but unless you have a larger converter or clutch, the bottom end could suffer. I would give a call to some of the reputable carb guys, i'm sure that they could get you a combo that would perform much better at the track and also provide a higer quality of throttle response and idle characteristics.
As far as the hood scoop goes, i would try to employ an air pan of some sort with a radius type inlet. Some of the chassis guys sell pre-fab ones that you can fit to your application.
Shawn