Re: Drop Base Filter Update/closure

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

wyrmrider wrote:lnl
could you verify which color base goes with which color line
hard to tell with these old eyes
I may be off base
and
thanks for the info
Red line is the silver base, green line is the black base and the blue line is the blue base.
63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

MadBill .... I would love to be able to go to a 16" base , but that hits my distributor , so unless I can find a smaller distributor , looks like I have to work with a 14" dia unit .
Also , still planning to play with the lid some as I think/believe the center depression with its 1 1/16" depth and 1" dia. flat for the retaining wingnut are hurting me . Will call Richardson Racing today to see what they offer , but in doing a search here , it came up that you had seen/played with a lid that had some channels/scallops in it that flowed pretty good . But I couldn`t find anything else about it ( name , part number etc ) . How good is your memory ? If I have to , I`ll cut that section out of my lid and put a "patch" in there and see what happens .

Thanks ,
Bob
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

63qcar wrote:MadBill .... in doing a search here , it came up that you had seen/played with a lid that had some channels/scallops in it that flowed pretty good . But I couldn't find anything else about it ( name , part number etc ) . How good is your memory ? If I have to , I`ll cut that section out of my lid and put a "patch" in there and see what happens .

Thanks ,
Bob
Not good enough, apparently! -I don't recall working with or reporting on such a lid. #-o Have you got a link to same? I do remember several years ago someone offering a conical insert for flat lids that formed a slimmer shape than that of the typical spun ones.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

MadBill .... it was in a thread that went back to June of 2010 ( Air Filter Assemblies ) that you said you had seen a lid that had some flutes in it similar to the K & N air management system , but you weren`t sure who made it . No problem if you can`t remember .... I can`t remember what I had for breakfast !!
I`ll try to see what I can fab up . BTW .... talked to Richardson Products and their lid has an even bigger depression and it`s also deeper than the one I have now .
chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Professional products makes airflow aid that fits over stud, never used it before, so can't reply on it, what I noticed wit air cleaners, is that if I use a upward dish type lid it creates a turbulent flow inside housing and pulling raw fuel out of bowl vent on my qjet, where as flat type lid don't do it, still trying out my own lid , so far so good, hehe,
Bowtie for life
63qcar

Post by 63qcar »

Chevyfreak .... pretty much what I was going to try . I`ll probably order one of those Air flo units and use it under my lid . May have to trim it some to get it to match the diameter of the reverse cone , but should be doable . If you look at my picture , my lid is flat ( once you get past the bulge on the rim ) , so this may work ..... and be a whole lot less work than trying to fab something from scratch .... and a lot faster .
Having a completely flat lid is out of the question as I need the height for clearance for the carb vents ..... though I may get a wild hair , put a flat lid on it and drill two holes for the vents to stick through and see what happens :roll: . Unless the vents need variable air flow across them to wok properly
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

63qcar wrote:... though I may get a wild hair , put a flat lid on it and drill two holes for the vents to stick through and see what happens :roll: . Unless the vents need variable air flow across them to wok properly
They do, at least to some extent. More importantly, the absolute pressure inside the aircleaner varies with throttle opening and RPM. The vents need exactly the same pressure in order to do their job.

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

Sometimes a simple aircleaner fitment just aint simple, I had various issues as well, and not any "universal " fits onto a qjet, ended up useing a old beaten up snorkel type and cut the base out , making it an open element type, so far its working good, just messing around with the lid, made lid out of polished stainless, with and upward indent,almost looks like I'm useing a full size moon cap as an aircleaner lid, haha, has a lot of people confused, but it works, and looks more custom, going same route on my impala, just taller filter, u can source and old air horn trumpet, can alter it to fit as well, my one buddy did it , can't say on outcome, he is more of the concervative type, where I'm the hooligan in the group, :lol: lol,
Bowtie for life
dave brode
Expert
Expert

Post by dave brode »

Fwiw, if angry air over the vents is the issue, at least with some tuning issues, I wonder if the screen used by GM would help?

Pics found on ebay auctions for same....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

the screen was used to take the turbulence out of the air flow if you ran without a filter. the turbulence messed up the carb calibration as I tried to run my 1968 Z/28 cold air intake with no filter and the engine ran badly
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I believe the screen was mainly intended to keep debris from falling into the carb when the hood was open. (since the filter was mounted to it)

Also, note that as designed the filter rode an inch or so higher on the foam ring, rather than sitting down on the flange. In other words, the flow path is more convoluted if the same height filter sits directly on the base... :-k

af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

MadBill wrote:I'd say the filter diameter would be the biggest factor. A 16" diameter one should leave enough room for the spun center to not block airflow.

Yes, it is 16X6"
GURU is only a name.
Adam
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Woo, I misread the height af2! A 16" x 6" should be enough to feed say a 676" BBC at 9,000+ RPM! :shock:

chevyfreak
Pro
Pro

Post by chevyfreak »

pamotorman wrote:the screen was used to take the turbulence out of the air flow if you ran without a filter. the turbulence messed up the carb calibration as I tried to run my 1968 Z/28 cold air intake with no filter and the engine ran badly
I make a small mesh screen that goes over carb inlet, made a huge diffrence, but I always like the look of something custom made, puts it appart from the rest,
Bowtie for life
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

MadBill wrote:I believe the screen was mainly intended to keep debris from falling into the carb when the hood was open. (since the filter was mounted to it)

Also, note that as designed the filter rode an inch or so higher on the foam ring, rather than sitting down on the flange. In other words, the flow path is more convoluted if the same height filter sits directly on the base... :-k
some racers ran without a filter in the hood and you need the screen to prevent carb calibration problems. I have tried it with and without a filter and you need the screen when running without the filter element. there is a positive pressure to the carb from the cold air intake caused by the windshield at speed