valve spring dilema

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jet1
Pro
Pro

valve spring dilema

Post by jet1 »

I have an engine that with factory cam and factory valve springs works perfectly.
HR236/246 .648.648 110lsa. pac1518 313 rate behive installed at 1.880 with only 125lbs on the seat. There are no rocker arm,spring, valve, lifter issues. amazing for such low spring pressures.
I plan on getting the heads ported and using a larger camshaft. The lift will ermain teh same but the duration will go up. If I am running more duration does that not simulate a higher rpm for the spring at a given rpm over teh previous camshaft?

I don't want to go to spring that is fine for the cam change jsut to have it overload the rocker etc.
twl
Expert
Expert
Re: valve spring dilema

Post by twl »

Generally speaking, having the same lift but longer duration would be easier duty on the spring. However, depending on how much rpm increase you plan, it might need some attention. or maybe not.
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

actually in this case its more of a steady state engine rpm and I will be running teh same rpm. I am looking at moving the tq peak closer to my running rpm of 6000-6200
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

jet1 wrote:actually in this case its more of a steady state engine rpm and I will be running teh same rpm. I am looking at moving the tq peak closer to my running rpm of 6000-6200
IMO, they can stay just as they are, and do just fine in that application.
4sfed
Pro
Pro

Post by 4sfed »

twl wrote:
jet1 wrote:actually in this case its more of a steady state engine rpm and I will be running teh same rpm. I am looking at moving the tq peak closer to my running rpm of 6000-6200
IMO, they can stay just as they are, and do just fine in that application.
An aftermarket cam will likely have a more aggressive lift/closing rate and need a little more spring . . . even at the same RPM.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

some reason e're not asking the camgrinder?
as posted above cam have widely different accelerations even with similar specs
camking's inverse radius profiles come in different levels which require different springs
however his grinds tend go be easier on the valvetrain (at similar specs) than other grinders
why?
inorder to get similar specs with a flat flank cam you have to work it harder
inverse radius can give 4 degrees or more of "cushion" or "wiggle room"
more acceleration or-more revs- or easier on the valvetrain
jet1
Pro
Pro

Post by jet1 »

Great info! I am probably just trying to learn. I know camking knows but I have always been the guy that has to understand why things happen not just that they do happen. Thanks guys.