Big block Mopar head castings

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Big block Mopar head castings

Post by Walter R. Malik »

sleeper sedan wrote:The 516 casting... great head if you like hydroporting. :roll: You'll find water pretty quickly on the short side radius. I don't know I'd even use them in a stock OEM application. Help Mother Earth and recycle.

Clark
Those heads have no short side radius to begin with so, I think you must have another head casting in mind.
The 346 sure hits water easily on the short sides.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Walter R. Malik wrote: The 346 sure hits water easily on the short sides.
Just don't take a lot of metal from those short sides with the 346 as you really don't need to.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
sleeper sedan
Pro
Pro

Post by sleeper sedan »

Walter R. Malik wrote:
sleeper sedan wrote:The 516 casting... great head if you like hydroporting. :roll: You'll find water pretty quickly on the short side radius. I don't know I'd even use them in a stock OEM application. Help Mother Earth and recycle.

Clark
Those heads have no short side radius to begin with so, I think you must have another head casting in mind.
The 346 sure hits water easily on the short sides.
You are correct, there is no short side radius on the 516... When installing a larger valve (in a typical street application) and trying to give the short side any help you can, you find trouble and it comes in the form of water.

Clark
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. Albert Einstein
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

That's all well and good in regards to air flow info from the porting session, but meaningless in terms of the power each head may make between the better closed chamber and open chamber heads!
I have seen heads that flowed enough added intake air for what should have been a easy 30 hp advantage make 60 hp less on a dyno!
The added air flow of the ported 346 casting shows how much more air comes over the short turn on the straight wall side with its far greater velocity due to that air mass!
The lack of short turn in those heads on the push rod wall even`s out this velocity difference and is what mainly allows for those flow numbers to top 300 cfm!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!