X pipe

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

289nate
Expert
Expert

Re: X pipe

Post by 289nate »

The location of the X pipe will determine performance gains. You don't just add an X pipe and get a gain. Finding the right distance from the collector can be a pain so I personally didn't bother with one.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Has anyone experimented with an X pipe on a traditional V twin Harley? This would be to keep most of the dual pipe look, but improve performance.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Has anyone experimented with an X pipe on a traditional V twin Harley? This would be to keep most of the dual pipe look, but improve performance.
That I would like to hear.

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
exhausted
Guru
Guru

Post by exhausted »

Keith Morganstein wrote:Has anyone experimented with an X pipe on a traditional V twin Harley? This would be to keep most of the dual pipe look, but improve performance.
Keith,
Surely you have seen 2into1 pipes for harleys. There is absolutely no need to have an x or crossover and two tailpipes for performance.
Calvin Elston
Elston Exhaust
Matthews, NC 28104
346-704-4430
Blog: www.exhausting101.com
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
job1bf

Post by job1bf »

someone asked about the sound of 8 into 1 - I saved this link from a thread on speed talk a long time ago. I am almost certain it was said to be 8 into 1...would be better without the music, but you can get a pretty good idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OS_k0V ... rUKwb4WhKA

there are a few others if you search youtube...

HTH's...
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

job1bf wrote:someone asked about the sound of 8 into 1 - I saved this link from a thread on speed talk a long time ago. I am almost certain it was said to be 8 into 1...would be better without the music, but you can get a pretty good idea

HTH's...
So how does an 8-1 work on a v10 exactly?

Also, if you go to 0:35 you can see the 5-1 collector on the one bank, or at least what looks to be 5-1 since you can't exactly count the hidden pipes.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Here is one of the cars Calvin builds headers for. The 4-2-1 headers all dump into a single 3" pipe, I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NELSera ... E84O_2c7pA

Bill-C on here is the engine builder.
-Bob
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

exhausted wrote:
englertracing wrote:
cgarb wrote:
makes it sound like
an engine that actually has a 180 crank
Not only does it sound like and engine with a flat crank, the engine runs like it has a flat crank in it...
===================

Except the secondary vibration stays low, to the possible benefit of driver and auxilliary equipment.
job1bf

Post by job1bf »

Rizzle wrote:
job1bf wrote:someone asked about the sound of 8 into 1 - I saved this link from a thread on speed talk a long time ago. I am almost certain it was said to be 8 into 1...would be better without the music, but you can get a pretty good idea

HTH's...
So how does an 8-1 work on a v10 exactly?

Also, if you go to 0:35 you can see the 5-1 collector on the one bank, or at least what looks to be 5-1 since you can't exactly count the hidden pipes.
Oops...sorry about that..not sure that happened..here is the correct link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxQAz_t ... rUKwb4WhKA
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Does an X quiet/muffle the sound some ?
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Here's a 428 FE going 0-135 mph with an x-pipe, 3.5" exhaust, and Dynomax Bullets. I just put the x-pipe as close to the header collectors as possible, so I'm sure it's not optimal. It did quiet the exhaust some. And I like the sound.

http://vid231.photobucket.com/albums/ee ... c79ad5.mp4

The narrative is not correct. The actual 1/4 mile time was 11.49 at 124 mph according to the G-Tech. Horrible launch, in and out and back into the throttle in 1st gear. That's why the time is so bad for the mph. Street tires and all......

I suppose this doesn't help with the OP's question, but I thought the sound might be entertaining. I'm shifting a 7000 rpm or a bit less.

paulie
ItalianJohnny
Pro
Pro

Post by ItalianJohnny »

66Vette wrote:I get the same comments on the sound of my car. It has a Dr Gas X-pipe and mufflers. Engine is a 374CI (4.125 x 3.5). People come up to me after a run (autocross) and always ask about the unique sound.
Which Mufflers ???
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

exhausted wrote:
Keith,
Surely you have seen 2into1 pipes for harleys. There is absolutely no need to have an x or crossover and two tailpipes for performance.
Yes and of course and they perform the best. Problem is many owners don't like the Look of a 2-1
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

When running Pipemax for my combo it suggests a H pipe 19.3 inches from the primaries, but the X pipe 77.3 inches from the primaries.
Jim