SBC 408 cid, is 600 hp unreasonable N/A

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: SBC 408 cid, is 600 hp unreasonable N/A

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Charvelrhoads wrote:Thanks for all the support and Ideas. I will probably get some bigger heads, but before I do, there is a few things I can try that won't blow the budget. First thing will be to recheck and set valve lash correctly, it appears I've been doing it wrong, so we'll eliminate that possibility. Next is collector extensions. Also as 408 Nova suggested I can try some carb spacers. I also have in my possession two more TSI spragless converters, an 8" that is supposed to stall 5500, and a 10" that is rated at 4500. I can try both of these to see what they do stall at, and if the engine likes them. I also have 1 3/4 headers that fit the chassis that I can try. I was thinking about changing the intake, but after having another look at the dyno pull Chad posted, I can't believe that it would be the problem. So it's bigger heads if none of this works. Thanks again,

Kim
Looks like a good plan. Just remember to do one change at time, and three passes to validate the change. I think the 5500 8" converter would be best. Try the extensions before change headers.

Keep us updated.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

with a locked out distributor the timing will self retard at high rpm.
with that and race gas you may need to set the spark timing higher than 36 (at idle) to end up with 36 ish at 6000+ rpm.
Something to try.
Charvelrhoads

Post by Charvelrhoads »

BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:Looks like a good plan. Just remember to do one change at time, and three passes to validate the change. I think the 5500 8" converter would be best. Try the extensions before change headers.

Keep us updated.
Will do. Thanks for the help.
F-BIRD'88 wrote:with a locked out distributor the timing will self retard at high rpm.
with that and race gas you may need to set the spark timing higher than 36 (at idle) to end up with 36 ish at 6000+ rpm.
Something to try.
I'll advance or retard it until it's happy, and whatever number it falls on is what it will be. 36 is what it liked now but with these other changes, I might like something else. Thanks for helping and giving me ideas.

Kim
woody b
Guru
Guru

Post by woody b »

What are your goals? Go faster? How much faster? Many on here will disagree, but switching to methanol, and a tighter convertor would put you running 2 to 4 tenths faster. Another way to go faster would be to lighten the car up some. More power wears out, but picking up ET by removing weight last forever.
I used to be a people person, but people ruined it.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Also in lighting up the car area for greater speed don't forget that rotating mass can have big effect on that as in the rims and tires, do you have tubes in the slicks ?
Also friction as in the front wheel bearings and the brakes.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Charvelrhoads

Post by Charvelrhoads »

woody b wrote:What are your goals? Go faster? How much faster? Many on here will disagree, but switching to methanol, and a tighter convertor would put you running 2 to 4 tenths faster. Another way to go faster would be to lighten the car up some. More power wears out, but picking up ET by removing weight last forever.
My goal was only to get into the mid 6.50's at this time. Thought the engine would do it on it's own, and it should. I considered methanol and haven't totally ruled it out yet. The car could lose some weight for sure, and that is something that can and may happen as time goes by and I continue to change and update it.

mag2555 wrote:Also in lighting up the car area for greater speed don't forget that rotating mass can have big effect on that as in the rims and tires, do you have tubes in the slicks ?
Also friction as in the front wheel bearings and the brakes.
No tubes in the slicks, M/T 28-10.50/15 slicks, M/T 4.5" front runners with Prostar wheels front and back. Eurosport components 4 piston disc brakes front and back. Last time I checked, all bearings and brakes were turning freely. My drive shaft feels heavy, I had one built when the stock one twisted off. Thinking maybe I should get an aluminum one. Possible future upgrade.
redsmokin57
Pro
Pro

Post by redsmokin57 »

I think that super victor will need some work in the plenum area and into the tops of the ports to fully see any gains over say other out of the box manifolds.
Cheers Steve
Steve Menso
57 chev drag 76 pontiac street 34 chev babbit pounder