merge collectors

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: merge collectors

Post by MadBill »

If they were welded onto the collectors, surely they would be considered part of the header system? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

falcongeorge wrote:
MadBill wrote:
exhausted wrote:...Cool... stick it right out the side. :D I surmise there are no sound restrictions where you race?

Kee-rect! Here's a short clip; you can hear it pretty well once we're clear of the pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQWCdh_5Wb4

BTW, the visible pipe is not the end of the reverse meg; it's a 5" x 24" 'stovepipe' that overlaps the meg by a few inches but is not connected to it. The idea was to move the outlet rearward for legality without affecting the 'tune'.

If it's not too far off topic, I'll share some pix of a TA legal system I came up with a few years back that uses the same priciple.
That clip brings tears to my eyes. GOD I miss Westwood... :( my daughter will never know the glory of that howling mob coming over Deers leap on the first lap...sorry for perpetuating the hi-jack...wiping tears away...
Ah yes, WETwood! I spent a lot of time there twenty some years ago in the days of the Players/GM Series for stock Camaros and Firebirds, when I was the Technical Manager of Motorsports for GM Canada. Our first pre-season test there, circa 1989 (Ron Fellows our primary test pilot), we awoke to 3" of snow the first day... #-o

(The hi-jack abides) :)

falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

Ah yes, WETwood! I spent a lot of time there twenty some years ago in the days of the Players/GM Series for stock Camaros and Firebirds, when I was the Technical Manager of Motorsports for GM Canada. Our first pre-season test there, circa 1989 (Ron Fellows our primary test pilot), we awoke to 3" of snow the first day... #-o

(The hi-jack abides) :)[/quote]

As you probably know, it's a high end subdivision now, some small parts of the track are still there. I took my kid up there a while back, and stopped on those sections and rambled on and on about the history. My kid is five, I'm betting she thinks her daddy is a little nuts. Memories of late sixties group 7 thundering down the hill towards the hairpin, Jerry Grant, Eppie Wietz, George Eaton....tears. Man, you had to be there. Also remember seeing the Alan Green Chevrolet Cheetah there when I was a kid, Charlie Godeke going off the esses backwards in his 911, Gilles Villenueve totally dominating a formula Atlantic field in the wet, Yvonne Duhamel lapping most of the field TWICE on a factory backed kawasaki...I'm glad we have a road circuit tacked on the end of Mission, it's better than nothing, but jeez, it's just no comparison to a proper road course like Westwood. Ok, enough teary eyed nostalgia, I'll shut up now...
proheader
Pro
Pro

Post by proheader »

1019140004b.jpg
How many guys truly believe in using a megaphone and reverse cone or diffuser on the collector?? I have never tested back to back but I have some recent stuff where the customer requested it for a pulling application......

For the most part, I see quite a few of the max effort guys in Pro Stock and NASCAR have moved away from them slightly... I have to assume sometimes is space to work.... IN V.Gaines latest crash the car is upside down and has a shorter collector on it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

.....................an unusually long primary's as well. I would venture a bet that there greater in length than 26 inches, whereas most header manufactures have them anywhere from 22 to 25 with an average around 24.

strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
proheader
Pro
Pro

Post by proheader »

At over 11k rpms, I try and stay between 18-22 inches myself and kept the collector a little shorter as well. With that RPM band so high, in my theory the header should be very short......
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

1989TransAm wrote:Couple of things come to mind because of Madbill. Are exhaust termination boxes legal for the EMC? If so would they not be a posible solution to any problems by using them before hooking up to the exhaust pipes at EMC?
I used them on our engine back in 2003. They didn't have a specified muffler except that it had to be 3 inch diameter. We had no money for fancy mufflers so we ended up using a set of $10 glass packs from a local exhaust shop and I placed them behind a termination box that I made using an R134 cylinder on each collector after I figured out what length seemed to work best. They worked great and we didn't lose any of our 620 horsepower but when we arrived in Memphis we were greeted with a, "what the f%ck is up with your exhaust system, we can't have any pictures of THAT in the magazine". They softened up a little and let us run it after I told them that I got the idea from a Vizard article in their sister magazine Circle Track.

The next year they had much more strict rules on the exhaust system including a spec(Magnaflow) muffler.
Olefud
Pro
Pro

Post by Olefud »

proheader wrote:
1019140004b.jpg
How many guys truly believe in using a megaphone and reverse cone or diffuser on the collector?? I have never tested back to back but I have some recent stuff where the customer requested it for a pulling application......

For the most part, I see quite a few of the max effort guys in Pro Stock and NASCAR have moved away from them slightly... I have to assume sometimes is space to work.... IN V.Gaines latest crash the car is upside down and has a shorter collector on it....
It depends a bit on your RPM range. A megaphone tends to extend the tuned range over a broader RPM range with perhaps some reduction in tune intensity. If you work in a narrow peak power RPM band it may not contribute that much. Keep in mind that megs broaden pressure wave tuning while merge collectors enhance exhaust inertia, i.e. momentum.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Besides, they look cool and purposeful. \:D/