2.5 Litre Chevy Marine engine Ignition Mod?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: 2.5 Litre Chevy Marine engine Ignition Mod?

Post by ProPower engines »

roc wrote:
Schurkey wrote:The 153 Chevy four popper from the Chevy II of the early '60s was four of the six cylinders of the Chevy 230 cid 6-popper. Same bore and stroke, even. Chevy dumped that engine in the early '70s, far as I know.

The 151 "Pontiac" Iron Duke was a major re-vamping of the 153. Early versions still had the intake and exhaust on the same side, just like the Chevy 4, and the 6 it was based on. Different bore 'n' stroke, though.

The 180-something cid 3.0L is another revamping of the same basic engine--although the 3.0 uses the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern.
That's correct. The 153" is an older design and uses a 3-7/8" piston sharing bore size with the 230"/250"/292" sixes. The 151" uses a shorter stroke crank and 4" pistons. Risk takers put those pistons on 250" sixes (if the block is good that's cheap extra inches).

The marine 3.0L (181") also has 4" bore, with a stroked crank.

In a bind, wouldn't a V8 distributor work? (skipping every other plug)

NO
Distributors are physically different in design.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

ProPower engines wrote:
roc wrote:
Schurkey wrote:The 153 Chevy four popper from the Chevy II of the early '60s was four of the six cylinders of the Chevy 230 cid 6-popper. Same bore and stroke, even. Chevy dumped that engine in the early '70s, far as I know.

The 151 "Pontiac" Iron Duke was a major re-vamping of the 153. Early versions still had the intake and exhaust on the same side, just like the Chevy 4, and the 6 it was based on. Different bore 'n' stroke, though.

The 180-something cid 3.0L is another revamping of the same basic engine--although the 3.0 uses the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern.
That's correct. The 153" is an older design and uses a 3-7/8" piston sharing bore size with the 230"/250"/292" sixes. The 151" uses a shorter stroke crank and 4" pistons. Risk takers put those pistons on 250" sixes (if the block is good that's cheap extra inches).

The marine 3.0L (181") also has 4" bore, with a stroked crank.

In a bind, wouldn't a V8 distributor work? (skipping every other plug)

NO
Distributors are physically different in design.
Thanks ProPower, I was afraid so.

Back to the Chevette engine, it was a cross-flow belt-driven SOHC 1.4L/1.6L all iron engine, totally different family from the 153"/151". I have seen Chevettes stuffed with the 2.5L (151") engine, it makes it a fun little car. But the newer 1.8L/2.0L (SOHC or DOHC) engines are far better choice, especially with a cheap turbo. It's fun seeing Chevettes outrunning sportier cars that cost 20x more.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

roc wrote:In a bind, wouldn't a V8 distributor work? (skipping every other plug)
1. It has to fit the engine family. The distributor base of the Iron Turd is not the same as the distributor base of a Chevy Small-Block or Big-Block.

2. Skipping every other plug wire terminal still leaves the coil firing four extra times in two revolutions, half-way between the plug wires--meaning the spark has no way to get to ground. The voltage will be sky-high leading to coil overheating and insulation stress of the rotor and cap. Eventually the spark WILL find ground, or the coil will fry.
roc
Expert
Expert

Post by roc »

Schurkey wrote:
roc wrote:In a bind, wouldn't a V8 distributor work? (skipping every other plug)
1. It has to fit the engine family. The distributor base of the Iron Turd is not the same as the distributor base of a Chevy Small-Block or Big-Block.

2. Skipping every other plug wire terminal still leaves the coil firing four extra times in two revolutions, half-way between the plug wires--meaning the spark has no way to get to ground. The voltage will be sky-high leading to coil overheating and insulation stress of the rotor and cap. Eventually the spark WILL find ground, or the coil will fry.
It makes sense, thanks Schurkey.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

roc wrote:
Schurkey wrote:

It makes sense, thanks Schurkey.
You'd just have install grounded wires in the skipped terminal towers.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
CharlieB53
Pro
Pro

Post by CharlieB53 »

I Retired from operating an indepentant boat repair shop.

I've sold and installed literally HUNDREDS of Pertronix breakerless kits in the Merc 4's 6's and V8's. All work flawlessly.

The KISS principal applies here.

Install the Pertronix and it will work.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

You can trigger a marine msd box with the points.
So much to do, so little time...
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

madmikeracing wrote:My Dr buddy told me it was a chevette engine?? Sorry i dont know after talking to Marina its a iron duke? 4 cyl 2.5 litre Engine. I was hoping to get a complete enclosed with coil and electronic distributor for it Thanx Mike
Iron Dukes also came in 1st generation S10's(82-'94). I believe they had an HEI distributor, also.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/car ... 7CL3*16062#
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING