is there a name or p.n. on Lunati valve springs/retainers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

four creeks
is there a name or p.n. on Lunati valve springs/retainers?

Post by four creeks »

had a set of chevy heads done a while back. Using a Lunati cam so I asked for a Lunati valve spring kit installed (for cam warranty) instead of k motion that they have on the shelf. Agreed to the price of the Lunati kit and it was on the bill when I paid for the heads/ picked them up.

First time I used this shop, so for giggles I took the heads apart to see what the valve job looks like and I have to say I'm not impressed. Looks like quick job to me. Charged full whack though. They did lie to me on other stuff while the heads were there, so I wonder...., did they really order in the Lunati kit for me like they said they did, or was it "let's charge him for what he wanted, these are just as good and he'll never know." Is there a way to tell what springs and retainers I have?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: is there a name or p.n. on Lunati valve springs/retainer

Post by Walter R. Malik »

four creeks wrote:had a set of chevy heads done a while back. Using a Lunati cam so I asked for a Lunati valve spring kit installed (for cam warranty) instead of k motion that they have on the shelf. Agreed to the price of the Lunati kit and it was on the bill when I paid for the heads/ picked them up.

First time I used this shop, so for giggles I took the heads apart to see what the valve job looks like and I have to say I'm not impressed. Looks like quick job to me. Charged full whack though. They did lie to me on other stuff while the heads were there, so I wonder...., did they really order in the Lunati kit for me like they said they did, or was it "let's charge him for what he wanted, these are just as good and he'll never know." Is there a way to tell what springs and retainers I have?
Lunati does not manufacture valve springs or retainers. They get them through a few different quality vendors and other than the packaging, it would be almost impossible to tell them from another company's vended part if the specs are all the same.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

but you might be able to tell if they are not "quality vendors"
ask lunati if they will check them for you
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

There may be some colored paint, or ink stripes on the springs that could be identified by Lunati. No way to identify the retainers, other than take some good clear photos and ask Lunati to verify. They may not be able to insure you that they are retainers that they sell, but they may be able to tell you that they are NOT their product. Problem here is that manufacturers often change suppliers for packaged product and Lunati may have changed vendors or perhaps they use several vendors for retainers and springs which would make it much harder to trace.
If you are suspicious of the quality of the springs, I would have someone check them on a spring pressure tester. Quality springs will have similar pressures at several checking heights throughout their working range (installed height through valve-open height).
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Lunati should be interested in counterfits
does your invoice say Lunati?
four creeks

Post by four creeks »

invoice from the shop said Lunati. The shop got the parts for the heads, not me, so I didn't see what they actually used. Maybe Lunati, maybe not, depends if their word is good. I have no reason to doubt they are Lunati, but no way to be sure either. Just wondered if there is a way to know if they really put in what they said.

The seats look good, multi angle seats, opened up intake bowl with a 70 degree bowl hog, seat width .050". Surprises me there's no back cut on the valves though, just a wide 45 degree face on the valves. New stainless steel, stock replacement type valves, looks like they took them out of the box and put them in and that was that. Seems like they could do better than that when they tell you they do a three angle valve job. I will put them in my old Sioux valve refacer and do the back cut. Also do a little blending in the bowl area.

Thanks for your help, guys.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

let us know if those springs check out
time to blueprint those heads since you have the souix
check the run out, guides even if it's just a wiggle and slide
new viton seals
I'd od hone the stems if you know someone with the hone
just chuck the head in the chuck and work the hone back and forth a few strokes