low oil pressure Dart SHP block?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Re: low oil pressure Dart SHP block?

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

JoePorting wrote:Your oil filter is probably clogged up with assembly lube, which is why I don't like using assembly lube on new motors. I just use oil on new motors. I figure when you turn the oil pump on with a drill, you're just going to send all the assembly lube to the oil filter anyway, clogging it up.

Did you change the oil filter after the first 30 minutes of startup? That's a good idea.

Using a non-bypass oil filter adapter is also a bad idea IMO. The bypass is there for a reason. If your oil filter clogs up, the bypass will allow unfiltered oil into the motor. That sounds bad, but no oil from a clogged oil filter is worse than non filtered oil. I'd put the stock oil filter adapter back in.
Not all assembly lubes clog filters some dissolve in oil, and if filters are changed regularly and are good quality a bypass is not needed as they should never clog.

But I agree, change filters after camshaft break in/first heat cycle, and I'd cut the filter open first too. Does it run an oil cooler, remote filter or something similar?
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

Guys,

changed to an AC Delco Filter today and voila, 60psi at idle going down to 45 when hot. I did not use any assembly lube as it got a roller cam which was just oiled, if any assembly paste then from main studs but that is little which could have washed down.

anyway, that was a quality filter not some Fram stuff so never thought it might collapse so badly
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

What filter was it?
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

actually a original Mercury Marine Filter, quite expensive SBC filter
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

if you had been using a oil filter adapter with a bypass you would have been pushing unfiltered oil thru your engine and you would not have not known it because you oil pressure would have shown normal on the gauge
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

that is absolutely right. Also troublesome on a new engine - not sure what I prefer low oil pressure which is OK if you have a caring customer who checks his gauges or getting unfiltered oil through the bearings.

I am thinking about changing to a bypass adapter but I am actually not sure if that is such a great idea either
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

every engine I ever took apart with a bypass filter adapter I found scratched rear main bearings because that is the first bearing to get the unfiltered oil till the oil pressure equalizes on both sides of the bypass valve to close it.
themotorshop

Post by themotorshop »

what is the thought of blocking the bypass,so oil always goes thru filter and being sure to not rev to high until oil is hot, and of course always check gauge,thanks
BlackoutSteve
Expert
Expert

Post by BlackoutSteve »

When the engine was built, were cloth/cotton rags used?
If so, perhaps the lint from rags can easily collect and wad up a filter once it all eventually makes it's way there.
Some advice from the HP Book's How to Hot Rod BBCs was to never use rags and only paper towel specifically for the reason of wadding up the filters.
I never used rags. :)
Post pictures, or it didn't happen!
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

coolchevy wrote:that is absolutely right. Also troublesome on a new engine - not sure what I prefer low oil pressure which is OK if you have a caring customer who checks his gauges or getting unfiltered oil through the bearings.

I am thinking about changing to a bypass adapter but I am actually not sure if that is such a great idea either
I wouldn't, been running the bypass blocked in almost everything for the last 40 or so years & it hasn't bit me yet & has saved a couple of very expensive cranks on a couple of occasions,,,,,

I am a blocker & proud of it :mrgreen:
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

Wolfplace wrote:
coolchevy wrote:that is absolutely right. Also troublesome on a new engine - not sure what I prefer low oil pressure which is OK if you have a caring customer who checks his gauges or getting unfiltered oil through the bearings.

I wouldn't, been running the bypass blocked in almost everything for the last 40 or so years & it hasn't bit me yet & has saved a couple of very expensive cranks on a couple of occasions,,,,,

I am a blocker & proud of it :mrgreen:

X10000000000000000000
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I've used a bypass for 30+ years with no problems. The Op can't say he has used a blocked bypass with no problems, he almost lost his motor. The next question is what was clogging his oil filter? Was it grease and sealer, or metal parts? The Op should pull his valve covers and inspect the motor. I'd focus on pushrod clearance issues. If he still has the oil filter, he should cut it open and inspect what material is inside.
Joe Facciano
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

JoePorting wrote:I've used a bypass for 30+ years with no problems. The Op can't say he has used a blocked bypass with no problems, he almost lost his motor. The next question is what was clogging his oil filter? Was it grease and sealer, or metal parts? The Op should pull his valve covers and inspect the motor. I'd focus on pushrod clearance issues. If he still has the oil filter, he should cut it open and inspect what material is inside.
I have seen many engines come in my shops where oil was bypassed and so was the dirt LOL and the end result was scored cranks and bearings.

Filtered oil is the way to go.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
The Radius Kid
Expert
Expert

Post by The Radius Kid »

coolchevy wrote:Guys,

changed to an AC Delco Filter today and voila, 60psi at idle going down to 45 when hot. I did not use any assembly lube as it got a roller cam which was just oiled, if any assembly paste then from main studs but that is little which could have washed down.

anyway, that was a quality filter not some Fram stuff so never thought it might collapse so badly
Maybe I missed it,but which brand/model of filter was on there in the first place?
The Nazis didn't lose WWII,they just changed uniforms.Now they run the place.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

The Radius Kid wrote:
Maybe I missed it,but which brand/model of filter was on there in the first place?

Mercury.......

If the bypass was there like Joeporting uses he would have lost the engine, and not almost as Joe stated.
That shyt goes back to people who claimed the filter exploded when the bypass was plugged..... And is BS
unless you are running 200 lbs of oil pressure.
GURU is only a name.
Adam