Hotting up a 502 Crate

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Hotting up a 502 Crate

Post by wyrmrider »

ON edelbrick and most heads it's time for a blueprint of the valves, stems guides, seats as far as fit and run out
new viton seals
know anyone with a Serdi or other modern valve machine
who does CNC on these heads?
Rokker

Post by Rokker »

swatson454 wrote:Is there anyone in your area that can work them over for you?

Shawn
wyrmrider wrote:ON edelbrick and most heads it's time for a blueprint of the valves, stems guides, seats as far as fit and run out
new viton seals
know anyone with a Serdi or other modern valve machine
who does CNC on these heads?

Unfortunately not. Not that I trust to do more good than harm anyway... and if it where it is most likely VERY expensive. To the point that selling them to finance a new already done set of heads from AFR/Brodix etc would be a better idea.

I`ve been debating with myself about sending them to someone like scott foxwell and get a full job done with a matching custom cam package from Chris Straub. Not sure if that would be a better idea. Not cheap, but I`m pretty sure it would be a killer top end.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I like that plan :D

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
Rokker

Post by Rokker »

Me too, not sure it is the cheapest way to 100 more hp though. I wrote Scott an email. Curios to see his reply.

On a sidenote; a friend of mine have the 620hp/572 from gm. I liked the spec on that cam, and seemed pretty spot on for what I wan't. Not sure if my lifters would handle that much lift though.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

Vizard was commissioned to do some R&D on the 620hp/572 and the very first thing he did was change the cam. He knocked ~20* of duration off of their cam, tightened up to a 107 LSA and he's currently making more hp and torque than their race 572.

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

I like the way you think, Mr. Straub :D

Shawn
Rokker

Post by Rokker »

From weight and mph I think I'm at 550-570hp now. And have not dialed in jetting or ignition yet.

Changing headers from 1 3/4 to 2" and adding a spacer might bring me pretty close to 600 hp already..
Question is how much will a custom cam add on top of that with my motor already being 11.2:1 instead of the original 9:1 (measured)
I think the cr would help somewhere around 40hp from stock?