A note from GM...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru
Re: A note from GM...

Post by dirtracr5 »

cstraub wrote:This was forwarded to me from one of the Technical schools we support with product...

Did you ever see this notice from GM about their roller lifters?

Valve Lifter Priming Notice

Notice: Ensure each valve lifter is filled with clean engine oil and the valve lifter does not tip over (plunger down) before the installation of the valve lifters. The loss of oil in the valve lifter lower pressure chamber or the dry stroking/cycling of the valve lifter plunger will allow air to travel into the high pressure chamber of the valve lifter. Air in the high pressure chamber of the valve lifter may not be purged causing extensive engine component damage
That notice applies to the 2.8/3.0/3.6 family of DOHC v6 engines found in vehicles like the traverse, Camaros ect. It does not apply to cam in block engines with roller lifters like the ls engines.
nickmckinney
Guru
Guru

Post by nickmckinney »

I found replacement OHC lifters (lash adjusters) directly from Ford come pumped solid full of oil. I was told by a very good source to not bleed them down before installation as well but not to the particulars why not (not spending extra time bleeding them was good enough for me)
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

dirtracr5 wrote:
cstraub wrote:This was forwarded to me from one of the Technical schools we support with product...

Notice: Ensure each valve lifter is filled with clean engine oil and the valve lifter does not tip over (plunger down) before the installation of the valve lifters. The loss of oil in the valve lifter lower pressure chamber or the dry stroking/cycling of the valve lifter plunger will allow air to travel into the high pressure chamber of the valve lifter. Air in the high pressure chamber of the valve lifter may not be purged causing extensive engine component damage
That notice applies to the 2.8/3.0/3.6 family of DOHC v6 engines found in vehicles like the traverse, Camaros ect. It does not apply to cam in block engines with roller lifters like the ls engines.
I assume that the W-body 3.4 DOHC is included?

dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

Schurkey wrote:
dirtracr5 wrote:

I assume that the W-body 3.4 DOHC is included?

No it is not.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

dirtracr5 wrote:
Schurkey wrote: I assume that the W-body 3.4 DOHC is included?

No it is not.
That's good, because these things install plunger-down in the cam carrier casting. There's just no way to NOT have them plunger-down.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

The engine family listed is nto a cam over bucket design, that's probably why.

They did managed to make a cam drive that is more problematic than the 3.4 DOHC so there is at least some progress! =D>
machine shop tom
Guru
Guru

Post by machine shop tom »

So now we are supposed to pump UP new lifters, in certain applications, instead of bleeding them DOWN?

Gee, that's not going to cause any problems or confusion.....................................

Thanks for the heads-up.

tom
Pray for a secular future.

We used to speak to tell things , now they tell things to speak.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

machine shop tom wrote:So now we are supposed to pump UP new lifters, in certain applications, instead of bleeding them DOWN?

Gee, that's not going to cause any problems or confusion.....................................

Thanks for the heads-up.

tom
Its been the procedure on this particular engine family since about 2004. Nothing new here..