General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: Best hp oil filter

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

lorax wrote:
I look at it like this. What did the filter cost. Cut it open, and see if it has paper end caps. Run it if you must, and then cut it open.
Here's what happens when a filter fails. There is NO PRESSURE in the filter. You start the engine, and pressure builds on the outside of the element. NO pressure can build on the inside until the block is full and pressurized. So you have 80-100 psi on the outside of the element, and ZERO on the inside. If the filter isn't built well enough to deal with that, it collapses. Heavy cold oil and a jazzy throttle with a weak filter element, too small of element, bad flowing media, and bypass, all add the problem.
Filters with paper end caps offer near nothing in support of the element against collapse.
Center tube with spiral ribbing are much stronger than perf/louvered punched tubes.

If you are going to run a filter with no bypass, then you have to make sure of 3 things. Flow capacity. Run the largest filter you can. That's a 5" long can, MINIMUM!
Run a filter with the strongest element you can find. As in metal end caps, and a spiral center tube if possible.
Bottom line, what does it cost to find out if that filter is something you want on you engine filtering its life blood?

Baldwin and Wix center tubes

You're totally right Lorax. I'll cut this filter open and check everything. The PH13 is 5.5" long.

I always checked oil filters after break in, but his time I'll cut it before use.

By "end caps" you mean the top and bottom steel washers that hold the paper element axially, right?

Thanks again for the informative post. =D>
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

Yes, and the top and bottom end caps should be fully potted with adhesive

SonnyJames

Post by SonnyJames »

ALL OFF THE SHELF FILTERS BYPASS OIL TO YOUR BEARINGS AT SOME POINT. SORRY TO DISAPPOINT.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

SonnyJames wrote:ALL OFF THE SHELF FILTERS BYPASS OIL TO YOUR BEARINGS AT SOME POINT. SORRY TO DISAPPOINT.
Care to explain how that is? Where is this so called bypass taking place?
SonnyJames

Post by SonnyJames »

Replace the filter element with a solid block. (Make the filter media impenetrable). Tig canister back together. Hook pump and filter to remote non bypass filter block. Pressurize with 80 plus out of pump and report back.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

SonnyJames wrote:Replace the filter element with a solid block. (Make the filter media impenetrable). Tig canister back together. Hook pump and filter to remote non bypass filter block. Pressurize with 80 plus out of pump and report back.
That makes no sense what so ever. What are you saying, that filters cause a pressure drop
DUH!

If you are suggesting that oil somehow gets passes a blocked element, as if it was wrapped with sheetmetal, I can tell with 100% certainty, not with any of the filters I run. Its NOT getting passed the top seal if that's what you are thinking.
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

SonnyJames wrote:Replace the filter element with a solid block. (Make the filter media impenetrable). Tig canister back together. Hook pump and filter to remote non bypass filter block. Pressurize with 80 plus out of pump and report back.
You are kidding right?
I can tell you what will happen
The pump pressure relief will bypass or the pump will stall or the canister will explode if the pressure keeps rising
You will still not bypass anything in the filter
I tried to explain this the last time you posted this BS & you have had at least a year to think about it yet you still don't get it
Read what I posted above, read what Lorax has posted complete with pictures & maybe common sense will prevail but I am not holding my breath
Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

"IMPENETRABLE MEDIA" ...? What filter uses anything like that.

Why would anybody even try something as stupid as that; absolutely ludicrous.
IF that was the case the can would blow-up or a leak would develop SOMEWHERE before that point creating a leak to lower the pressure. AND, the bearing surfaces would certainly overheat.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

ALL OFF THE SHELF FILTERS BYPASS OIL TO YOUR BEARINGS AT SOME POINT. SORRY TO DISAPPOINT.
This cat is out to lunch
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Walter R. Malik wrote:

IF that was the case the can would blow-up or a leak would develop SOMEWHERE before that point creating a leak to lower the pressure. AND, the bearing surfaces would certainly overheat.
I think SJ is saying that his suggested test set up would still permit oil flow, thus supporting his claim that bypassing would occur.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

zums wrote:ALL OFF THE SHELF FILTERS BYPASS OIL TO YOUR BEARINGS AT SOME POINT. SORRY TO DISAPPOINT.
This cat is out to lunch
Okie dokie, whatever you say...
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

MadBill wrote:
Walter R. Malik wrote:

I think SJ is saying that his suggested test set up would still permit oil flow, thus supporting his claim that bypassing would occur.
But if there is no bypass in the filter, as a small block filter I know years ago they pulled up brand/type in the computer whether it had a bypass or not :?:
As we both know a lot of these motors had a bypass in the filter base/block anyways...
For one to generalize that ALL off the shelf filters have a bypass, I found quite a different answer looking at FrAMs site.
http://www.fram.com/support/faqs.aspx

From FRAM :
Relief (By-Pass) Valve. In a full flow system, all of the oil passes through the filter to reach the engine. If the filter clogs, an alternative route to the engine must be provided for the oil, or the bearings and other internal parts may fail, due to oil starvation. A relief, or by-pass, valve is used to allow unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine. Unfiltered oil is far better than no oil at all. This relief (by-pass) valve is built into the engine block in some cars. Otherwise, the relief (by-pass) valve is a component of the oil filter itself. Under normal conditions, the valve remains closed. When there is sufficient contaminant in the oil filter to reach a preset level of pressure differential to oil flow (around 10-12 PSI in most passenger cars), pressure differential on the relief (by-pass) valve causes it to open. This condition can occur when the oil filter has become clogged or when the weather is cold and the oil is thick and flows slowly.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

He still explained HOW and WHERE the oil bypass the element when there is no internal bypass.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

lorax wrote:He still explained HOW and WHERE the oil bypass the element when there is no internal bypass.
Lol true..
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

Relief (By-Pass) Valve. In a full flow system, all of the oil passes through the filter to reach the engine. If the filter clogs, an alternative route to the engine must be provided for the oil, or the bearings and other internal parts may fail, due to oil starvation. A relief, or by-pass, valve is used to allow unfiltered oil to lubricate the engine. Unfiltered oil is far better than no oil at all. This relief (by-pass) valve is built into the engine block in some cars. Otherwise, the relief (by-pass) valve is a component of the oil filter itself. Under normal conditions, the valve remains closed. When there is sufficient contaminant in the oil filter to reach a preset level of pressure differential to oil flow (around 10-12 PSI in most passenger cars), pressure differential on the relief (by-pass) valve causes it to open. This condition can occur when the oil filter has become clogged or when the weather is cold and the oil is thick and flows slowly.

The bold print says not all filters have the bypass... I am with those that say not all filters off the shelf have a bypass