Old School
Pro
Pro
Re: Popular cam companies / designers

Post by Old School »

randy331 wrote:
wyrmrider wrote:Have your head flows handy
Why? For specing a cam ?

If someone thinks they can spec your cam based on flow numbers,..I'd use someone else.

Randy
Lord have mercy..... on you or anyone else making that statement on many forums. Its going to be interesting if the designers that have the magic software that takes all these numbers in, analyze them and then spits out the perfect cam for a combination speak up. By the way, the cam that is recommended by the magic software is the ONLY cam that will work in the engine. Period. Do not question.

Funny that the cam salesman always asks what cam you are presently running. Kinda like when we were running super stock in the mid 80's. A very well know engine builder (with several records in the books) walked up to us and asked about our engine. We answered but no specfics. After much discussion he stated that he could pick it up 7 to 12 hundredths with a freshen up. Then he asked who did the heads and cam. Answer -Bill Jenkins. That ended the sales pitch.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Old School wrote:Funny that the cam salesman always asks what cam you are presently running.
I don't.
After I calculate what the customer needs, I may ask, just to see how far off they are. If they're way off, I'll run thru the numbers again, to make sure I didn't make a mistake.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

lorax wrote: If a cam designer DIDN'T ask for the flow numbers, I'd be looking somewhere else.
Its not JUST the max flow numbers, its the entire flow curve.
From the top of the carb to the valve face is important info. Not knowing the head flow is paramount to not knowing the engine size.
Exactly.
When we were designing Ferrari cams, they didn't use flow benches. They measured the whole port, from valve seat, to injector bell. That's great with a straight-shot port, but not with our OHV V8 ports. You need to know the measurements of the port(Valve size, choke diameter, etc), but the shape of the port can change how those parameters actually flow. That's why the flow bench is so important. You can have a port with a given Minimum Cross-secional Area, but the effective MCA is much smaller because of the shape of the port is effecting the flow thru that cross-section.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Old School wrote: Lord have mercy..... on you or anyone else making that statement on many forums. Its going to be interesting if the designers that have the magic software that takes all these numbers in, analyze them and then spits out the perfect cam for a combination speak up. By the way, the cam that is recommended by the magic software is the ONLY cam that will work in the engine. Period. Do not question.
Maybe a bit of sarcasm there?
Magic software? LOl I'm guessing that software you speak of is fueled by pixie dust ?? LOL

I'm sure such software exists, but thinking most cam guys have it wouldn't be realistic. AND, thinking the average racer would even come close to having all the necessary data this type of software would need, would be a comical idea at best.

There seems to an abundance of those defending the use of flow numbers for cam specing, not one has said with X change in flow it needs X changed on the cam.

So,... a dirt track 355, 9.5/1 comp per rules, 4412 carb per rules, preformer rpm intake per rules, EQ spec heads per rules, any solid flat tappet cam per rules.
The guy races at 2 different tracks with the same rules. One track is strict on the rules with regular tear downs for the winners with complete head inspections so the heads have to be ran just as they come from EQ. Track 2 has the same rules but just uses a bore scope down the ports to look for porting so the guy has done a little tune up on them with a valve job and a bit of porting where the bore scope can't see well enough to get called out. The tuned up set flow 18 cfm more than the way they came from EQ. What does the 18 cfm tune up change on cam requirements?

I guess next we could disscuss specing a cam based on flow , BUT not knowing the cubes!!! LOL

Randy
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Jones as the software and knows how to use it.
Or you can call the 800 number tech line and take your chances
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

Mike Jones....I'll put you on the list as well.......... 8)
modified wanna be
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

On dirt track a cam change may be due to driver preference, typical track conditions, track size and shape. I know my 2bbl cams run up to 10 degrees different than alot of my competitors and works very well for me.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

If you wish to speak with a designer, the guy who designs the lobes themselves, unless you call Mike Jones, or can reach Harold Brookshire, you're not likely to talk to a designer. Unless you are a fairly big name engine builder, or know someone. I do not know if Steve Huggins (Huggins cams, and before that, Cam Dynamics) or Darrell Hawkins are designing lobes anymore. Harvey Crane has passed on, and Jere Stahl has closed up shop.

At Comp, the designer is Billy Godbold, and at Bullet the designer is Don Walthall.
joespanova
Expert
Expert

Post by joespanova »

Alan Roehrich wrote:If you wish to speak with a designer, the guy who designs the lobes themselves, unless you call Mike Jones, or can reach Harold Brookshire, you're not likely to talk to a designer. Unless you are a fairly big name engine builder, or know someone. I do not know if Steve Huggins (Huggins cams, and before that, Cam Dynamics) or Darrell Hawkins are designing lobes anymore. Harvey Crane has passed on, and Jere Stahl has closed up shop.

At Comp, the designer is Billy Godbold, and at Bullet the designer is Don Walthall.
Good points and thanks.
modified wanna be
skrews

Post by skrews »

Crower.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

skrews wrote:Crower.
Which one? :lol:

You have Dave Crower who does a lot of the domestic work and VW stuff (which is the one in the context of this conversation)

But then you have
Dan Crower (Daniel Crower Racing), who does a lot of powersport / motocross type stuff but I think does some domestic work as well, and Brian Crower (BC Cams) who does a lot of import car engine work.
-Bob
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

cstraub wrote: It requires lesss camshaft. On the circle stuff if they are running multiple tracks I will choose lobe area that is an average and then give the engine builder 2 lash settings.

It wouldn't require less camshaft assuming both tracks were the same. With a set bore/stroke/comp, un-ported 2 plane intake, and a 4412 carb, the cylinder head flow changing a few cfm wouldn't change optimum duration. For starters an apparent 18cfm gain would turn into 6-8 cfm (maybe less) when you bolt the un-ported 2 plane intake and 2 barrel carb on it. The 2 barrel carb is a much larger restriction to power than it's apparent cfm loss on a flow bench, and that part didn't change. Just for a look, I ran engine pro with a 215 cfm head and found the duration that made the most power, then added flow (cfm) in the program until the optimum duration changed. It needed 260 cfm before the program added 2* more duration. Within the limits of a given head it would take massive amounts of grinding and much different size valves before the cam requirements change.
And, without knowing how that cfm was gained, you wouldn't know if it needed more time area. Maybe the gain was with a bigger valve and it already has more time/window area. Maybe it was gained with steep seats and has a bunch less time/window area.
cstraub wrote: Based on flow numbers I look at the the cam as can a few others and give the customer a lash setting to tray before they have to buy anything. You see and engnine with an I/E ratio of 60% and the customer has a single pattern cam you can quickly see the engine needs split. Have the customer loosen intake and tighten exhaust and the engine will respond much differently.
Based on what flow numbers? The apparent 60% ratio from flow with no intake bolted to the head, but with a short pipe on the ex port? Is that what it flows on the running engine? I've seen an intake take 40 cfm off a 300 cfm head. This was a head with published flow of 315 cfm. So now what's the in to ex ratio?
I've seen a short pipe on the ex pick up 20 cfm, but when I bolt the actual headers on the flow was less than the open port. So now what's the in/ex ratio?
I've also seen smaller headers flow less when bolted to the ex ports (yes I've flowed ex ports with actual chassis headers bolted on) yet that worse flowing smaller pipe ran faster at the track. So now what's the in/ex ratio? How good is that smaller pipe at exhausting the engine vs it's measured ability based on flow bench cfm?

Then there is the differences in flow benches. They vary 15 cfm or more. 2 heads could flow the same, yet one guy calls the cam company with a flow sheet reading 15 cfm more. Which guy gets the right cam? AFR heads are down on cfm on my bench from published numbers, so which flow numbers do you cam it to?

Then there is the issue of efficiency? Just flow doesn't tell you how good a port is, or what size it is, or how good it is at feeding the cylinder at and after BDC, or how much power potential it has. I've seen some 23* heads make 2.5 HP per cfm, and others make 1.8 HP per cfm or less on the same cubes/comp etc. Which one fills the cylinder the best, and which one needs more/less cam???

I've gained 8-10 cfm on an engine that had several cams tested in it before the port work. Then re-tested with more cams/lash/cam positions, and the trends were the same. The additional port work didn't change what the engine wanted cause the overall geometry/cubes/comp/etc didn't change.

When someone calls a Cam guy and asks for a cam, they'd be better off asking where do you want peak TQ and peak HP, and more importantly how good is your cylinder head guy at hitting that rpm and what kinda VE/power levels have they obtained with similar combs in the past?

Me, I don't agree with flow based cam specing,
But,.. everyone can keep calling their cam guys and bragging about flow numbers if you want. LOL :D :D

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

cstraub wrote:A running engine that is not performing. If given the I/E ratio and in crunching the number the duration split is not correct one can prove to someone a cam change is needed with a little sweat equity.
I have little doubt it can be proven that a cam change was needed with testing. I'm saying basing it on in/ex ratio from a flow bench isn't valid.

I've seen an ex port flow 84% of the intake, yet all cam testing in the engine showed it wanted more ex duration than intake duration by a considerable amount. One cam 18* more ex duration and still wanted tight ex lash.

I also have little doubt some cam guys can chose cams that are close, if they have dyno/track experience with that type of engine/cylinder heads, but basing it on flow from a bench, at 28", or maybe less depression converted to 28", isn't realistic. And, thinking all someone has to do is call up with flow numbers of the heads, and comp, and cubes, and a few things like that, and think they will get the perfect cam the first time,..Well that's very un-realistic to say the least.

Randy
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

I assume the 1.0 larger MCSA is inches Chris? or is it a typo?
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

randy331 wrote: Me, I don't agree with flow based cam specing,
You would if you worked in any of the top forms of racing.
IndyCar, NASCAR, NHRA Pro-Stock, WoO sprints and Latemodels, USAC silvecrown, sprints and midgets, Daytona Prototypes.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449