Recomended Wrist Pin / Steel Rod Clearance.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BlackoutSteve
Expert
Expert

Re: Recomended Wrist Pin / Steel Rod Clearance.

Post by BlackoutSteve »

FWIW, the .0005" pin clearance in the pistons, where it is even less in some others, is being reconsidered.
The new pistons were supplied with that clearance from the manufacturer who fitted them.
Aiming for .0008"-.0010", and .0010"-.0012" in the rods.

Honing pins as well as the normal honing of pin bores?
Post pictures, or it didn't happen!
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

The first Honda 750 4 cylinder street bikes used steel on steel full float. Some had a dark coating, like maybe parkerizing or something. I think the oil hole pattern shown here was stock.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqN,!ikE-jB4o2IZBPyRqrRryw~~60_35.JPG

Some used ones that came in had a degree of scoring or galling. Whether those bikes were beaten when cold is unknown.

I'd suspect a decent synthetic oil would be at least as good as a good dino oil in the pin area.
Enigma
Pro
Pro

Post by Enigma »

GOSFAST wrote:
The highest load area on the rod is always on the bottom of the rod eye and the bottom of the pin, especially on the comp stroke and the power stroke. It's exactly opposite with the piston, here the load is on the top of the pin hole and is the main reason for having the pin oilers above the pins.
Wouldn't it actually be the opposite of this? Highest load being at the top of the small end bore and bottom of the piston bores just after TDC on the exhaust stroke?